Healthy Eating, Active Living (HEAL) Convening 2016: On the HEALs of Change
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM - Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 12:30 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Healthy Eating, Active Living Convening
On the “HEALs” of Change
Franklinton Center at Bricks
281 Bricks Lane, Whitakers, NC
Wednesday and Thursday, November 2-3
Wednesday, November 2
8:30 a.m. Registration Auditorium
9:00 - 9:30 a.m. Welcome Auditorium
9:30 - 10:00 a.m. Get Moving! Auditorium
Move with a purpose! Network with leaders who are strengthening community health across North Carolina communities.
10:00 a.m. Snacks Available Snack Station
10:00 - 11:45 a.m. HEAL Resource and Idea Share Various Stations
Meet resource providers who can help you to strengthen your organization’s HEAL programming; engage with demonstrations of creative (but simple!) strategies to get moving and eat healthy; and learn successful community HEAL projects.
11:45 a.m. - LUNCH Dining Hall
1:00 - 4:15 p.m. Try This: Successful Strategies! Various Stations
1:00-2:30/2:45-4:15 Participants will participate in two of the following concurrent sessions:
- Faith, Food and Community: Explore ways communion can provide a foundation for deeper community partnerships and food ministries.
- Inject a Little HEAL into Your Meetings and Organization: Ever sit through a meeting for hours without moving? Where the only snacks were super sweet? It’s time to make a change!
- How to Support Your Local Farmer: Eating healthy is just a farm away. Learn about strategies to keep these key community members growing.
- Innovative Ways to Sell/Distribute Fresh Produce: Move beyond farmers’ markets and food pantries. Learn about strategies to help rural communities get more local, healthy foods and farmers reach more customers.
- Best. Farmers Market. EVER!! Walkthrough Demo: Walk through a day at the market with vendors, community programming and outreach strategies.
2:30 - 2:45 p.m. Break
4:15 - 5:00 p.m. Reflection and Recap Auditorium
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Break and Check-In
6:00 - 7:00 p.m. DINNER Dining Hall
7:00 - 8:30 p.m. Dance Party and Outdoor Games Auditorium
Thursday, November 3
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. Breakfast Dining Hall
9:00 - 9:15 a.m. Evolution of Dance Auditorium
9:15 - 11:00 a.m. Shark Tank: Ideas and Prizes! Auditorium
Pitch your great idea and vote on the best strategies to get “HEAL”ing!
11:00 - 11:15 a.m. Break Snack Station
11:15 - 12:15 p.m. Closing Plenary Auditorium
Let’s move into action to reclaim our communities’ health and make the change.
12:15 p.m. Wrap-Up and Boxed Lunch Auditorium
Fill out your evaluation and grab a healthy boxed lunch to go!
Overnight Guests: Lodging will be available at Franklinton Center and Country Inn and Suites.
Cancellations: There is no charge for this event. However, organizations’ whose participant(s) cancel less than 48 hours (2 days) prior to the workshop will be billed a $20 cancellation fee per person. This includes no-shows. Lodging will be available for those traveling more than 2 hours from home. If you have any questions, please contact Donna Pratt at 919-951-0116.
Special thanks to our supporters:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation
The Duke Endowment
Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust
USDA Rural Communities Development Initiative
When & Where
The Conservation Fund's Resourceful Communities Program.
Resourceful Communities is a grassroots network that implements the triple bottom line in low-wealth communities by building capacity and a statewide movement that advocates for sustainable economic development, social justice, and environmental stewardship.
Our work is asset-based and partner-driven. We help communities build on their greatest strengths: people, land and tradition. We support partners through three primary strategies: capacity building, direct small grants, and facilitated awareness of, and access to, additional resources.