Actions and Detail Panel
Healthy Cooking on a Budget: Desserts
Sat, April 22, 2017, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM PDT
Think healthful eating is out of your budget? Learn the secrets for how to shop for and use natural, organic foods without breaking the bank in our Healthy Cooking on a Budget Class series!
This family-friendly series of classes will provide a blend of information, recipes, and samples! All samples and recipes provided are vegan-friendly, and most (but not all) recipes will be free of gluten-containing ingredients and the top 8 allergens. Special dietary needs may be accommodated with advanced notice.
The focus will be on how to save money when shopping and cooking by utilizing staple ingredients found in the bulk section and getting creative with everyday ingredients. You will walk away with recipes, a booklet on saving when shopping at the Co-op, an understanding of how to read labels to get the biggest bang for your buck, and more!
*The class is FREE for all Co-op FLOWER participants, but registration is required
*For those not enrolled in FLOWER, there is a small fee to reserve your seat ($3 for Co-op Owners or $5 for Community Members). When you attend the class you will receive a Moscow Food Co-op gift card reimbursing you for the fee you paid.
- Class 1: Whole Grains (Jan. 21 from 4-5pm) Learn how to identify whole grains (including gluten-free grains) when shopping and explore new ways of cooking the most common (and inexpensive) grains.
- Class 2: Proteins (Feb. 11 from 4-5pm) Think outside the box and stretch your budget with some fun recipes using plant-based foods such as beans, lentils, and peanut butter as protein.
- Class 3: Fruits & Vegetables (March 11 from 4-5pm) Learn how to get the most bang for your buck when buying and cooking with produce. Plus learn about the Co-op's new weekly FREE fruit program for kids called Co+op Explorers!
- Class 4: Healthy Desserts (April 22 from 4-5pm) Learn about some fun (and healthy) ingredient swaps for baking that will help you use up what you have on hand.
- Class 5: Meal Planning & Store Tour (May 6 4-5pm) Put everything you've learned throughout the series to use in our final class. Learn tips and tricks for meal planning that can help save some money and make your week easier. We will finish up with a budget-friendly store tour.
Minimum Registration: 5
Maximum Registration: 25
About the Instructor: Alice Ma is a Co-op volunteer and registered dietitian who will answer your questions about nutrition and food. Alice received her Master’s degree in nutrition and dietetics at the University of Utah. After spending a year serving as an AmeriCorps volunteer in Ellensburg, WA, she became a resident of Moscow and currently works at Washington State University as the Registered Dietitian for Dining Services. Alice is passionate about food, nutrition, and sustainability and is excited about being involved with the Moscow Food Co-op and local community.