Health Literacy Workshop
Thursday, October 20, 2016 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM (PDT)
Please join us for a free lunchtime workshop on Health Literacy. The workshop will include a talk by an expert in the field, and an interactive skills application.
Lunch will be provided. Kaiser Permanente approved by the California Department of Health Services Licensing & Certification for 1.5 Contact Hours.
This is a free event sponsored by the Healthy San Diego Health Education and Cultural and Linguistics Workgroup, a collaborative of managed care health plans and the County of San Diego working together to improve health and health care in San Diego.
Jose Cruz, CEO of San Diego Council on Literacy
Highlighting & Addressing Health Literacy: Culture, Language, Literacy
- Gain understanding about low health literacy and its impact on patient outcomes
- Identify ways to recognize patients with low health literacy
- Learn evidence-based methods and strategies to overcome low health literacy and enhance communications with patients
Diana Carr, Senior Cultural and Linguistic Specialist, Health Net
Asya Anderson, Cultural and Linguistic Specialist, Molina Healthcare
Applying Health Literacy in a Provider Setting
- Identify the differences between health literacy and low literacy.
- Learn basic strategies to use in a provider setting that support health literacy
- Learn about free resources that are available to support your patients' health literacy
11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Sign in & Boxed Lunch Pick-up
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Workshop & Raffles
When & Where
Healthy San Diego Health Education and Culture and Linguistics Workgroup
Healthy San Diego is a collaborative group consisting of the county of San Diego and managed care health plans. The culture and linguistics workgroup focuses on health education and cultural barriers that affect health.