(This event is not free. See below for payment information.)
Healing Whiteness is for white people who are on various places on their journey in the realm of racial justice.
White people, where are you on this journey? Maybe you:
- struggle with the shame and guilt that often plague white people as we try to understand how to be good in the context of being a white person in a racist society,
- find yourself immobilized when something racist happens, you can't figure out what to do or say,
- struggle because the ways that you've been told you need to show up for racial justice don't fit you and so you're concerned that you can't join with the cause of ending racism without being someone else,
- have gained confidence and clarity through the years that you've been showing up for racial justice, and would love to get more skills to stay grounded in challenging situations, to engage with people across the spectrum of awareness of racial justice with compassion.
Wherever you are, Healing Whiteness meets you there and helps you take the next steps on your journey. Throughout the history of racial justice work, various committed, engaged white people have found their centered, courageous, confident place of wholeness from which to work toward racial justice. Healing Whiteness exists to help more white people get there more efficiently and with more clarity about the journey that they are on. To become the kind of people that people of color know that they can lean on to show up and speak up when that is needed, and to step back and listen when that is needed, and generally make the movement for racially just transformation more powerful.
Through deep healing exercises, group discussion, and a presentation on white racial development through a lens of healing, Sofia Olson will create a compassionate and brave space for participants to:
- experience expanded possibilities for their transformation and growth in relation to racial justice,
- strengthen their relationship to their internal resources,
- learn a schema of white racial development to be able to identify the causes of their behaviors and emotional reactions and some potential interventions to shift them,
- strengthen their abilities to engage with white people about racism from a place of compassion and connection,
- deepen their compassion for their own growth process, and
- experience a shift in one or more problematic behavior, thought, or emotional reaction in relationship to racism and whiteness.
Payment: In recognition that people have a huge range of access to financial resources, the expected payment range for this workshop is between $25 and $225, with no one turned away for lack of funds. The payment for this workshop is an investment in yourself as well as to this work continuing and growing. My intention is that each workshop brings in $500 - $1000 with a limit of 10 people attending each workshop. Please decide for yourself how much you will pay for this workshop and arrive at the workshop with cash or a check in that amount. Due to the limited number of slots in this workshop, your RSVP through this website is holding your spot. If you are unable to attend with less than 48 hours notice (aside from a case of a real emergency), please plan to pay for your slot or find a replacement who will attend and pay. People of Color are always welcome to register and attend these workshops, and are not expected to pay.
Accessibility: My home has 8 steps leading up to it. Once inside, everything is on one level, although not all doorways are wide enough for all wheelchairs. Please refrain from using fragranced products so that the event can be scent free. Children are welcome in the space and can play, read, or otherwise entertain themselves nearby or with you or can pay attention to the workshop and learn and engage. We have some toys and books for various ages in the space, and we can set up a movie in a nearby room if desired by the attending parents. Please let me know ahead of time if you will be bringing children so that I can be prepared. The backyard may also be available for play. The workshop will be held in a home where a cat and a small dog live. If you need intepretation to attend this event, please let me know, and I will do my best to provide it.
Transportation: The venue is a block away from a number 7 bus stop and several blocks away from both a number 8 bus stop and a number 50 bus stop. The Othello Light Rail station is less than a mile away. If you would like support with bike routes, please let me know.
To learn about future Healing Whiteness events and offerings, sign up for the Healing Whiteness mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/cqv-1f
Date and Time
My home, about a mile from the Othello Light Rail Station
(address will be emailed to you when you've registered
Seattle, WA 98118