Compared to abuse, little has been written about the effects of neglect and how to heal from them. In fact, the effects of neglect are profound, and often more insidious.
Growing up with neglect can also make it harder to know how to cope and feel supported in the wake of the election, particularly if we belong to a group on the receiving end of increased threats, hostility, or violence.
Because of neglect, especially coupled with oppression, we may have learned to:
- Ignore and devalue our own experience
- Keep others too far away, or let them in too close, too quickly
- Disconnect from nature
- Tune out our body’s wisdom
- Believe stories of exclusion, abandonment and scapegoating that we recreate and replay throughout our lives
The good news is, we can heal from neglect, and from the ongoing traumatic effects of oppression. We can learn to:
- Receive the love that surrounds us more deeply, instead of repeating early experiences and perceptions of neglect.
- Make better, more nourishing decisions for ourselves and those we love
- Feel greater peace, ease, and well-being in our daily doings
- Get better at sensing and creating appropriate boundaries in relationships
We'll spend the first part of the day in an inwardly-directed space, attending to body, emotions & spirit:
- Tuning in to our bodies as a source of wisdom and information
- Creating and experiencing belonging: Internally, externally, and in our family lineage
- Receiving 1:1 Wisdom of The Body work
We'll spend the second part of the day in a more outwardly-directed space, practicing and adjusting how we show up:
- For current events--what are we telling ourselves? What are our options, really?
- More fully and more effectively when old family patterns feel like they are running us. We'll bring actual situations into the room to enact, and you can get real-time communication coaching to come away more confident you'll be able to handle whatever comes your way.
- Managing our worst triggers
We'll also do more 1:1 sessions if time permits.
Please check in with yourself and your budget:
- Consider what you would pay and have paid for similar work and how that felt to you
- Think about the fact that your higher level ticket makes it possible for others who can't afford that level to attend
...and then select the ticket price that represents the most you can afford, and would enjoy contributing.
Want to start with a taste of Wisdom of The Body? Come to our free "Heal This Moment, Prepare for The Next" Introductory Playshop on Thursday, Dec. 8th, 7:30 PM. Here's the Meetup where you can RSVP and see who else is going: https://www.meetup.com/Wisdom-of-the-Body-Beyond-Talk-Therapy-East-Bay/events/235794894/
And here's the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1276948635658757/
I look forward to working and playing with you in this delicious field!