Why You Should Attend?
Do you need a break away from your doctoral routine? A chance to step back and see the big picture, gain clarity and take stock of where you are and where you are headed? If so,
Come stay, play, and enjoy Hawaii on a 3-Day Doctoral Retreat.
Use this time to renew, review, and reenergize. Instead of bringing your laptop, bring a notepad and your favorite writing pen and join us in the Penthouse Parlor as we spend our time together:
- Beginning with the end in mind
- Accelerating your Time to Degree
- Demystifying the dissertation process
- Getting Unstuck
- Overcoming Writing Anxiety
- Creating a plan of action to pen your dissertation
- Developing a smart dissertation timeline
- Building your committee or reconnecting with them
- Redefining your doctoral experience
Who Should Attend?
- 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (+) year Doctoral Students
- Chairpersons, Deans, Directors, and Student Success Advisors
- Early Career Professionals and Prospective Doctoral Students
- ABD (All But Dissertation) Candidates
This retreat is designed with you in mind. Break free from social isolation and come get reenergized and unstuck on the beautiful island of Oahu known as "The Gathering Place."
What Will We Do?
Come with an open and growth mindset suspend disbelief and look forward to sunrise/sunset meditations, scheduled meetings, Time Outs, off-site educational adventures, time for meaningful reflection and focused writing on the white sands of Kailua Beach.
Each day begins at 6:00 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m.
The best dissertation is a done dissertation! Get focused, get balanced and get recharged.
What do I stand to gain by attending?
Attend the Doctoral Retreat and in 3 rich days you will:
- Increase clarity and align with your purpose, while in the doctoral program.
- Practice honoring agreements and sacred promises.
- Learn 18 critical ways of thinking in the doctoral program.
- Design practices and shortcuts including creating a 30-90 day action plan.
- Create systems, learn how to work at your peak times, and incorporate mindfulness, productivity, and spiritual tools on your doctoral journey
- Develop an inner discipline to read and write effortlessly and daily; Structure your dissertation in 3 days; Create an aggressive dissertation timeline; Practice writing reseach questions, problem statements, and purpose statements.
- Address personal issues such as balancing work and school, and dealing with procrastination head on by becoming a RPP (Really Productive Person).
- Address non-academic challenges-e.g. stagnation, prioritization, procrastination, and 3 effective ways to unpack or initiate difficult conversations.
- Incorporate more play & creativity, which leads to innovation, in the doctoral program.
- D.R.E.A.M about the “Business Purpose” of your doctorate and turn your dissertation into a viable economic model that pays.
How Do I Register?
Attendees should register online for the retreat using the link below. Registration includes all retreat materials, leadership books, daily lunch, round trip ground transportation from hotel to Kailua Beach and/or Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, and entrance fee into Bay. The VIVE Hotel provides complimentary beach chairs, yoga mats, towels, and boogie boards.
To reserve a room at the VIVE Boutique Hotel, please email Daniel Sakakibaro, Front Desk Manager, directly at Dsakakibara@vivehotelwaikiki.com. Very generous conference rates are extended to you. Phone: 808.687.2000
Act Now, Don't Wait, and Register Today
Seating is limited for greater interaction, intimacy, and inspired living.
All requests for refunds MUST be submitted in writing to Dr. Nicole Johnson, THE ABC COACH via email at THEABCCOACH@gmail.com and RECEIVED no later than 11:59 PM Pacific Time by the dates listed below. Telephone requests WILL NOT be honored. Written requests for refunds will be processed as follows:
Received by March 17, 2017-Full refund less processing fee.
Received on or after March 20, 2017- No Refund
Please include your full name, telephone number and email address for all refunds submitted via email. *Refunds will be issued promptly. This process usually takes 5-7 business days.
Contact: Dr. Nicole Simmons-Johnson, Ed.D. at THEABCCOACH@gmail.com. for more information.
Save This Event
When & Where
THE ABC COACH, Nicole Johnson, Ed.D.
Dr. Nicole Johnson, Ed.D. earned her terminal degree from Pepperdine University. While in the doctoral program, she positioned herself as an expert on the topic of dissertation support. She created instructional DVD's to support doctoral students and founded her own coaching and consulting practice for graduate and doctoral students while in her doctoral program. Dr. Johnson was an invited guest panelist at Eastern Kentucky University Dissertation Symposium, and presented a portion of her dissertation at the American Psychological Association (APA) 120th Annual Convention in Orlando, Florida in 2012. Her dissertation The Path to Graduation: A Model Interactive Web site Design Supporting Doctoral Students focused on redesigning the dissertation support website and helping doctoral students through the dissertation phase.
She has presented her ideas, products, and services in the national and international arena, including Hawaii, Los Angeles, Monterrey, Mexico, Sacramento, Paris, France, San Diego, and Washington DC.
Her DVD is a collaborative effort and is entitled A Thin Book for 1st Year Doctoral Students. It is available on Amazon.com
Pepperdine University Colleague Magazine has featured Dr. Johnson in several editions from 2008 until present.
Top 5 Articles 'A is for Accomplishment'
Diss. Simmons-Johnson, N.Pepperdine University, ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing, 2012. 3516945.