Haverim Lecture Series: Taken Out of Context with Tom Guilliams, Ph.D.
Saturday, August 16, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM (EDT)
You are invited to join us for an exciting time of learning for all of our "friends" (haverim) entitled, Taken out of Context: How the Study of the Second Temple Period Influences Our Understanding of the New Testament and Our Witness to the Current Generation.
Have you ever experienced the frustration of trying to tell someone about Christianity's Jewish-Roots and they don't seem to care? What we've discovered is that, more often than not, they don't understand what we mean or how it is relevant to their lives. Gifted teacher and longtime friend of JC Studies Tom Guilliams is coming to help bridge that gap.
In Taken out of Context, Tom provides a clear historical portrait of the times that set up the "fullness of time" into which the Father sent His Son. You'll learn important principles that prove this perspective is a gift from God to our generation. And you'll be better equipped to read and teach the Bible for all it's worth!
Just listen to these session titles:
- Taken Out of Context: Why Study of the Second Temple Period Matters to Christians
- When There Was a House on the Hill: A History of the Second Temple Period
- Those Other Scrolls: Impact of the Literature of the Second Temple Period
- Interpreting the Bible of Jesus: How First Century Jews Read and Used Their Bible
This unique learning experience is sponsored by JC Studies and provided for you without cost. Consider this a summer school class, where your time and effort are devoted to your continuing effectiveness as a disciple of King Jesus. We can't encourage you enough to make this educational event top priority for you and your loved ones.
Here is how to register:
- Click the green Register button above. Every attender must have a free ticket so we can manage space.
- You do not need to print your ticket, we will have an electronic record at the event.
- Put the event on your calendar and consider bringing friends! Presenting Taken Out of Context with Tom Guilliams is our gift to you. It is an honor and a privilege to make quality teaching of this nature available to believers across the region.
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Centerville, Ohio is a trusted source for your overnight stay. They have beautiful rooms at reasonable prices (including breakfast) and are an easy 20 minute drive from the venue.
Schedule: Saturday, August 16, 2014
9:00-10:30 Session One - Taken Out of Context: Why Study of the Second Temple Period Matters to Christians
10:30-11:30 Session Two - When There Was a House on the Hill: A History of the Second Temple Period
11:30-1:00 Lunch Break (bring your own or eat at one of the many local restaurants)
1:00-2:00 Session Three - Those Other Scrolls: Impact of the Literature of the Second Temple Period
2:00-3:00 Session Four - Interpreting the Bible of Jesus: How First Century Jews Read and Used Their Bible
When & Where
JC Studies (The Center for Judaic-Christian Studies)
We're glad you're considering joining this gathering of learners; it will be worth your time. Here’s a bit more about us:
Founded over thirty years ago by Dwight A. Pryor, JC Studies is an evangelical, non-profit teaching ministry with a passion for acclimating Christians to the life and times of Jesus. Through our educational events leading scholars share their expertise in the language, culture, and literature of Israel to shed light on Jesus and the early church—helping you grasp God’s Word more fully so that you can know Him more intimately.