Has the political establishment failed America? Whether they voted for Trump or Sanders or none of the above, millions of Americans say the answer is yes – and that the system benefits the elites at the expense of everyone else. Others say that despite its flaws, the political establishment has been a force for unparalleled stability, prosperity and equality — and that it is now the only thing standing between America and the abyss. Is it time for the old guard to come to the rescue or to make way for a new political reality?
Come listen to a lively debate featuring leading thinkers from UChicago and beyond – and decide for yourself.
For the motion that the political establishment has failed America:
- Michael Eric Dyson of Georgetown University
- William Howell of UChicago
Against the motion that the political establishment has failed America:
- Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post
- Eric Oliver of UChicago
- This event is free and open to UChicago students, faculty, staff and the public. If you cannot attend, please cancel your ticket order on Eventbrite so others may register.
- Please contact the Institute of Politics at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-834-4671 for any questions or accommodation requests.
- To add this event to your calendar, see the "When & Where" box at the upper right, click "Add to my calendar," and choose among the options (Outlook, Google, iCal, Yahoo).