San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Dumbarton House offers an exclusive opportunity of a behind-the-scenes tour of our historic house site as we undertake a major renovation, the installation of a new HVAC (heating, ventilation, and cooling) system. Come see preservation in action and learn what it takes to renovate a 217-year-old house. We’ll provide the hard hat you’ll need for this indoors/outdoors tour!
Since its construction in 1799, Dumbarton House has undergone several large-scale construction projects including the actual moving of the house in 1914, its major restoration in the 1930s and the addition of a sub-terrain ballroom and park in the 1990s. Each tour of this 2016-17 project will offer a unique experience as we complete different phases of the project and visitors will have access to special spaces not usually open to the public. Join Dumbarton House staff for a 45-minute tour as we peel back the layers of the house. Meet on the corner of 27th & Q Street NW.
Space is extremely limited and registration is required.
PLEASE READ BEFORE REGISTERING. This tour will take place on an active construction site so it is important you follow the guidelines below:
- Guests must wear flat, closed-toed shoes.
- The tour will be both indoors and outdoors. The house will have limited heat, so please dress appropriately for your own comfort.
- Hard hats will be provided and, for safety reasons, must be worn.
- There are no public restrooms available.
- This tour is not appropriate for children.
- Please contact us if you have any mobility issues as parts the tour may be difficult to access firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-337-2288 x222
When & Where