Intended Audience: PT/PTA, OT/COTA
Sat., February 25 - 8am-6:30pm
Sun., February 26 - 8am - 3:30pm
The course has been approved by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy for 19 CCUs.
ABOUT THIS 2 DAY TRAINING:
Get ready to get stuffed, saturated and wrinkled! This “how-to” seminar will put your body in the pool for 2 unbelievably extensive days of skill acquisition (16 hours of class; over 10 hours of pool lab).
Think of this as The Appetizer Sampler of Aquatic Therapy seminars. You will be exposed to most of the popular aquatic techniques currently being used in clinics across the globe -- and learn 2 or 3 new ones. Why sit through boring lecture on theory? Instead, get in the water and learn hands-on handling techniques that will leave you with new, concrete skills and the confidence to apply them to your musculoskeletal and neurological patients. And you’ll have a blast doing it.
1. Verbalize the difference between functional improvement and patient satisfaction. Locate literature which supports the need to address patient satisfaction in order to improve outcomes.
2. Understand how to justify the choice of treating the ortho/neuro client in the water.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the indications, precautions, benefits and applications of the most common aquatic techniques including:
- Manual therapy
- Trunk and shoulder stabilization
- Functional skills training
- Salzman's Blanket Drills
- Aquatic Adaptations of the Berg
- Pilates, and
- Introduction of exercises/flowsloosely-based on clinical applications of Watsu®, Halliwick®, Ai Chi and the Bad Ragaz Ring Method®. (Note: this 16-hr survey class does not classically teach these techniques, nor will it certify participants. Instead it teaches clinicians to capitalize on clinical pearls derived from these models.)
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the hydrodynamic and thermal principles behind each aquatic technique in order to:
- Increase ROM
- Improve strength, power, speed and agility
- Decrease hypertonicity
- Decrease pain and muscle spasm
- Improve trunk and shoulder stability
- Improve balance and proprioception, and
- Improve functional skills.
5. Design progressions blending a variety of aquatic therapy techniques and using each technique at the appropriate stage in rehabilitation.
6. Examine and modify a sample protocol by seamlessly integrating appropriate aquatic techniques into the land-based protocol.
8:00 AM ~ Lecture/Video
9:30 AM ~ Pool Lab
1:00 PM ~ Lunch on own
1:45 PM ~ Lecture/Video
3:15 PM ~ Pool Lab
6:15 PM ~ Questions & Wrap-up
6:30 PM ~ Dismissal
8:00 AM ~ Pool Lab
11:00 PM ~ Lunch on own
11:45 PM ~ Lecture/Video
1:00 PM ~ Pool Lab
3:00 PM ~ Questions & wrap-up
3:30 PM ~ Dismissal
Non-employee/On-call Therapist Cancellation policy:
Cancellations received at least five or more working days before the event are refundable, minus a $20 administrative charge per registrant. There is no refund for cancellations received less than five working days before the start of course. A refund or voucher will be issued to any participant who is registered to attend a seminar that is cancelled by Centrex Rehab.
Centrex Employee Cancellation Policy:
- Centrex requires a one month cancellation notice from the registered employee. Eventbrite will send a registration reminder just before this time frame.
- Centrex will allow one emergency cancellation per employee every 2 years without penalty (i.e. you or family member is sick, car died, etc.)
- Any no show or cancellation without proper notice and beyond the one allowed emergency cancellation will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
You do not need to bring a ticket to the course with you.