Weekly Event - Every 2 weeks - Every Saturday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT)
Aliso Viejo, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This 8 hour course fulfills the required amount of class time prior to standing a post. It consists of a 4 hour module on Powers of Arrest, and a 4 hour module on Weapons of Mass Destruction.
REQUIREMENTS FOR Security Guard REGISTRATION
A security guard must have in his/her possession a valid security guard registration or a screen-print of the Bureau's approval from the Bureau's web site at www.bsis.ca.gov, along with a valid photo identification, before working as a security guard.
Security guards are employed by licensed private patrol operators to protect persons or property and prevent theft. To be eligible to apply for a security guard registration, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); and
- Complete a 40-hour course of required training. The training and exam may be administered by any private patrol operator or by a certified training facility.
40 Hour Security Guard Training Requirement
|Date of Completion||Training Hours Needed|
|Prior to Being Assigned on Post||8 Hours|
|Training Required within the First 30 Days||16 Hours|
|Training Required within the First Six Months||16 Hours|
|TOTAL HOURS||40 HOURS|
Breakdown of fees paid online:
Security Guard Application Fee $50.00
On-Line Convenience Fee $ 1.00
The security guard applicant must submit fingerprints electronically using Live Scan. You must only use the security guard Live Scan forms downloaded from the Bureau's web site or obtained from the Bureau. The Live Scan form from the Bureau contains the correct coding to ensure that the Bureau receives the FBI and DOJ responses.
Breakdown of fees paid at Live Scan site:
Department of Justice Fingerprint Fee $32.00
Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Fee $17.00
Secure Live Scan Fee: $15.00
GUARD CARD WITH FIREARM PERMIT
You may not carry a gun on duty without having been issued a firearm permit by the Bureau. Also, a firearm permit issued by the Bureau does not authorize you to carry a concealed weapon. You may not carry a concealed weapon on duty without a Concealed Weapons Permit (CCW) issued by local authorities, nor carry a caliber handgun not listed on your firearm permit.
To apply for a firearm permit, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent legal alien status.
- Pass a course in the carrying and use of firearms. The 14-hour (8 hours classroom, 6 hours range) training course covers moral and legal aspects, firearms nomenclature, weapon handling and shooting fundamentals, emergency procedures, and range training. The course must be given by a Bureaucertified firearms training instructor at a Bureau-certified training facility. Written and range exams are administered at the end of the course. Costs of training are determined by the training facility.
- Submit a firearm permit application, pay the $80 application fee, and submit a Security Guard Registration w/Firearm Permit Live Scan form (http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/livescan/g_fq.pdf) signed by the Live Scan site operator, including ATI number. A $38 Firearm Eligibility application, $32 DOJ fingerprint processing fee, $17 FBI fingerprint processing fee, and Live Scan site processing fee must be paid at the Live Scan site. Send your application package to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002.
You may submit both a guard registration application and a firearm permit application at the same time to the Bureau along with a $130 fee.
Once the Bureau has received the online application and criminal history clearances, the cleared security guard will appear on the Bureau's web site. The security guard, private patrol operator, or training facility can verify the Bureau's approval by checking the Bureau's "Verify a License".
Once the security guard registration has been cleared and appears on the Bureau's web site, a screen-print from the web site may be used as an interim security guard registration. The security guard can then be placed on assignment. The actual security guard registration will be mailed to the applicant and should be received in 10 to 15 business days.
Security guards placed on assignment must keep the following documents with them:
- A valid security guard registration or a screen print of the Bureau's approval obtained from the Bureau's web site.
- A valid photo identification
The Bureau will continue to accept the following:
- Submit your completed security guard application, a $50 registration fee and a Security Guard Live Scan form signed by the Live Scan operator, including the ATI number. A $32 DOJ fingerprint processing fee, $17 FBI fingerprint processing fee, and Live Scan site processing fee must be paid at the Live Scan site. Send your application package to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002.
Applications for registration as a security guard are available from private patrol operators or training facilities certified by BSIS.
We will refund any classes up to 48 hours before an event starts, minus any fee's that may have been charged by Eventbrite and/or Paypal.