Sales Ended

Graffiti House: A Civil War Hospital and Old Trade Craft Brewery Tour

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Culpeper Visitors Center

111 Commerce Street

Culpeper, VA 22701

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

Refunds up to 7 days before event

Friends Who Are Going
Event description

Description

Meet at the Historic Train Depot in Downtown Culpeper, where you will embark for the Graffiti House located on the eastern end of Brandy Station, VA. Constructed in 1858/59 on land owned by Mr. James Barbour. During the War Between the States, it is believed the Graffiti House was used as a hospital by the Confederates and, at other times, was simply a dry place to spend the night after a long days march. Following the First Battle of Manassas, fought in July of 1861, wounded Confederate soldiers were evacuated by train and brought back through Brandy Station to Culpeper. It is also known that houses in and around Brandy Station were used to help house the recovering soldiers. This is likely the first time that the Graffiti House was used as a hospital.

It stood witness to the largest cavalry battle in the western hemisphere which took place on June 9, 1863 were approximately 22,000 soldiers fought. There was an estimated 1,090 casualties; soldiers that were listed as killed, wounded, or missing. At the end of the day, Stuart held the field and claimed victory. The Confederate injured were taken to the Graffiti House and as they were recovering, took the charcoal from the fireplace and drew pictures, made statements, and signed their names on the walls. During the winter encampment of 1863 - 1864, the Federal forces that occupied Culpeper County scrawled their names, drew pictures and messages on the walls and the Graffiti House may have been the headquarters for General Henry Prince.

Upon arrival, you will engage in a lecture titled, "Civil War Herbs, Hospitals, and Helpers". The lack of medicine during the end of the war necessitated the use of herbs. The Yarrow plant in the newly planted herb garden was known as "soldiers woundwort" and was used to stop bleeding, lessen pain and prevent infection. The uses of the other herbs in the garden will also be explained. There will be a special tour of the newly added hospital room, with stories of the local women that were there to aid and help the recovering soldiers. Some of the pertinent graffiti portraits on the second floor will be pointed out and discussed as well, relating to the hospital helpers.

The group will then travel to Old Trade Brewery for a private tour and beer flights. The afternoon will conclude departing from Old Trade Brewery and returning to the Historic Train Depot in Downtown Culpeper.

Share with friends

Date and Time

Location

Culpeper Visitors Center

111 Commerce Street

Culpeper, VA 22701

View Map

Refund Policy

Refunds up to 7 days before event

Save This Event

Event Saved