Why Spend a Saturday with us?
Garwyn Oaks Northwest Housing Resource Center is a HUD certified, non-profit housing counseling agency whose mission is to ensure healthy neighborhoods by equipping individuals to obtain, maintain, and retain their homes successfully. This workshop and the following one-on-one counseling led by our professional Housing Counselors and industry experts empowers and prepares prospective homeowners like yourself to obtain, maintain, and retain your dream home by providing well-rounded insight into the home-buying process and assisting you find and secure all the down-payment assistance programs available. Please join us!
What You Can Expect
Class will cover the following information:
- Each step of the home-buying process
- Avoiding Predatory Lending and Foreclosure
- Identifying Fair Housing Issues
- The four "C's" of homeownership: Credit, Compensation, Capital, and Collateral
- Building Credit
- Saving Money and Creating a Budget
- How to qualify for a mortgage
- How to choose a lender and a real estate agent
- How to shop for a home
- Home inspections/appraisals
- Insurances for home owners
- Maintaining the Home
- Loan programs-FDA, MD Mortgage Program, VA, Fanniemae, and Freddiemac
- Grant and down-payment assistance programs
What is Required of You
You must attend the Home-buying workshop AND the one-on-one counseling session, to be eligible for certificate
Cost of registration covers your workshop materials, credit report, one-on-one counseling session (scheduled at the workshop), and lunch.
If you are purchasing a home with a spouse or co-borrower, they must also register for the workshop. No children allowed. No pets-- service animals only. Entry is not permitted after 9:00 am. Once class has begun, and you are late, your registration will be rolled over to the next workshop--but you must contact us to do so. You will be scheduled for a one-on-one counseling session at the workshop. All counseling sessions are scheduled within 30 days of the workshop. Once you complete the Homebuyer workshop and counseling session, you will qualify for a certificate.
If you are unable to pay by credit card online you may register by calling our main number 410-947-0084.