48 HOURS TO CREATE SOMETHING AMAZING!
The first weekend in March (3/1 – 3/3), people interested in creative problem solving, service design, design thinking and customer experience will meet at locations all over the globe. In the spirit of experimentation, innovation, collaboration and friendly competition, teams will have one weekend to create completely new services inspired by a shared theme. At the end of the weekend, their collection of brand new services will be published to the world.
Is it a start-up weekend? A hackathon? Kind of, but not quite…
Imagine 48 hours to come up with an idea and bring that idea to life…but instead of creating lines of code or a new business (although you may end up doing those things), you will be creating new services and experiences.
Throughout the weekend, teams will work collaboratively to concept, develop and prototype ideas. By the end of the weekend, the teams will bring those ideas to life!
Is it a conference? A workshop? A networking event? Nope!
This weekend, it’s all about DOING and MAKING. It’s a chance for creative people, entrepeneurs, social innovators, professionals, students and academics to work together to solve problems. It is a hands-on, practical event, aimed at bringing passionate people together, in order to create new solutions to a common challenge, using the tools of service design.
Why should you attend?
- You want to learn more about a design-based approach to creative problem solving
- You are interested in service design and want to gain some hands-on experinece
- You have no clue what service design is, but want to find out
- You will pick up a load of new ideas and work practices
- You will design something that may become a real business
- You want to meet a lot of cool people, at all levels of experience and from a variety of backgrounds
- Your work and ideas will be reviewed by your peers, and presented to the world, where they can be seen by potential customers or employers, or by people who could make them real
- You will have an awesome time and connect with people from your community, and from all over the globe
Want to get involved but can't make the entire weekend? Are you a skilled practitioner? Become a mentor!
If you are a skilled practitioner in your field (service design, ux design, creative director, entrepeneur, start up/business development, customer service, academic, etc.), consider being a mentor! We're looking for mentors to visit the Jam for a few hours, throughout the weekend, to help advise and provide feedback for teams. Contact us if you are interested!
Questions? Contact the organizers!
@gsjlosangeles // #GSJ13
Sarah Stern (sarahstern.mostly [at] gmail)
Yoko Nakano (yknakano [at] gmail)
Christina Tran (christina [at] sodelightful.com)
Have questions about Global Service Jam, Los Angeles / 2013? Contact the organizer