Global Game Jam 2013 - Atlanta Georgia SPSU
Friday, January 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM - Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM (EST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Like playing games? Come make them!
Come be a part of one of the largest game design and development events in the United States!
The Global Game Jam 2013. SPSU will be the state-wide host in Georgia. The event runs from Friday, January 25th through Sunday January 27th.
As we've done in past years, we'll begin around 5pm on Friday with opening ceremonies, but if you must arrive later, that's OK. We'll conclude around 5pm on Sunday. We also hope to have industry speakers and sponsors showcase their work and provide talks earlier in the day on Friday. We will have swag/giveaways at the event for all attendees.
- You must be 18 years or older to participate.
- Participants can come and go as they please; you do not need to stay at the event for the entire time.
- We encourage all kinds of participants; you don't have to be a college student and you don't have to be an SPSU student to participate. So invite friends and anyone you think might be interested in joining us.
- You own your intellectual property created; the organizers and SPSU want you to commercialize your game/creation, so you retain full ownership.
- Participants can come with teams already established, but we encourage you to join a team once you arrive so that you can meet new people. You don't have to have a team already formed.
- You don't have to have massive coding/programming skills to participate. People of all skill levels can contribute, and we need designers, programmers, and artists (audio, 2D, environmental, and 3D).
- We'll have a digital and a non-digital game development track. Thus, you can use the weekend to develop a computer/digital game or a board game if you'd like.
- We hope to award prizes at the conclusion of the event for the best and most innovative game concepts.
- We will provide some meals and snacks throughout the event; please bring water/drinks and snacks for yourself to ensure you're well hydrated and have energy. There are also many local restaurants within a mile of campus as well as a grocery store for your use if needed.
- We encourage all participants to rest well during the event; some participants attempt to stay awake the entire time, but this is not advised as you'll be more productive with some sleep. Couches and chairs (and a quiet, dark room) will be available; you're welcome to bring pillow/blanket/sleepingbag/etc.
- Registration cost of $25 covers logistics of the weekend. This fee is payable online at Eventbrite. You can pay via PayPal (a small service fee will be added) or you can register and indicate you'll pay cash at the door. If you haven't paid through Eventbrite, payment is required when you show up on Friday and is payable in cash (we're sorry that we cannot accept checks or credit cards at the door). There is an ATM machine nearby if needed.
Please see http://www.spsu.edu/games/gamejam/
We encourage you to register early for the event so we can get an accurate count for food/snacks/space. Please use Eventbrite to register.
Come to J202 in the J/Atrium building between 4-5pm on Friday, January 25th to begin the weekend. Driving directions and a campus map is available at http://www.spsu.edu/visitspsu/campusmaps/. Opening ceremonies will begin shortly after 5pm, but if you arrive slightly later, you'll not miss too much.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Past Game Jam Weekends
- The 2013 Fall Georgia Game Jam was September 7th-9th at SPSU, and we had ~250 attendees. This set a new record for the size and scope of the event in GA!
- The 2012 Global Game Jam was Jan 27-29, 2012; SCAD Atlanta hosted, and we had ~210 participants, making the Georgia venue the largest in the US and the 3rd largest in the world!
- The Fall 2011 Georgia Game Jam was Sept 23-25 (Fri-Sun); we had over 110 participants and made 18 games.
- The Global Game Jam 2011 was January 28-30, 2011. SPSU was the state-wide host site in Georgia, and we had 150+ attendees. We were the 2nd largest site in the US and the 8th largest site in the world!
- SPSU has also hosted fall and global game jams since 2009.
When & Where
Center for Applied Gaming and Media Arts - Kennesaw State University
For more than 50 years, Kennesaw State University has been known for its entrepreneurial spirit and sense of community. Offering campuses in Marietta and Kennesaw, the university is located just north of Atlanta and combines a suburban setting with access to one of the country’s most dynamic cities. As Georgia’s third-largest university, Kennesaw State offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate degrees, including a growing doctoral program. Designated by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia as a comprehensive university, Kennesaw State is committed to becoming a world-class academic institution positioned to broaden its academic and research missions and expand its scope on a local, regional and national level.