San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
One of the most scenic rock scrambles and hikes within 1.5 hrs. of NYC.
Mohonk Preserve is eye candy for those who love the boulder fields and caves that we'll be scrambling and hiking through. World renown for multi-pitch climbing.. you may see some climbers and people bouldering on the rock walls while we hike by.
Exciting yet challenging terrain, fun and nothing like it this close to the city.
- Date: Saturday, June 7, 2014
- Time: 9:30am Start
- Miles: 6-8 miles
- Pace: Casual to Moderate
- Level: Beginners welcome but need to be sure footed and able to hike the mileage
- Gain: Under 600'
- Cost: FREE to join group; Park Use Fee: $15 (paid to Park Ranger at gate)
- Apres defrag and social for a bite and brew before going home: Gilded Otter Micro Brew in New Paltz, NY
Possible swim stop at waterfall and watering hole if temperatures warrant.
Exit 18 on NY State Thruway (New Paltz). Give yourself extra time as traffic sometimes backs up in the area on Thruway. The Plattekill Travel Plaza is just before Exit 18, use restroom, grab coffee, etc here before continuing to New Paltz (15 min) - http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/travelplazas/tp-plattekill.html.
Meet at 9:30am at New Paltz Stop & Shop Plaza in front of Stop & Shop on left side if you're looking at front of store. Make left on Main Street (Rt. 299) after you exit NY State Thruway toll booth. Turn right at traffic light where your McDonald's and Dinner on right on other side of traffic light; into the Stop & Shop Plaza (cinema is also in this plaza). Stop & Shop is in rear of back. If you forgot water or snacks, sun block, etc you can pick it up here. http://www.newpaltzplaza.com/our-stores.html.
Mohonk information: http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/map-and-directions.
- Hiking shoes or boots
- 2+ liters of water
- Lunch (if you're joining us afterwards snacks will suffice)
- Light outer layer
- Daypack to leave your hands free on scrambles
- Swim suit and towel if weather warrants a swim
- Climbing gloves
- Bug repellent
- Headlamp or flashlight for entering boulder caves
- Mohonk member pass (if you have one)
- Spare shirt/top for after hike
- Spare shoes for the comfortable ride up and back
- ID if you intend to throw back some micro brews
- Emergency meds if needed e.g. epi needle
REGISTRATION REQUIRED - this is in case something changes and we need to contact you.
Please let us know if you have a car and can offer ride shares (how many passengers and from where are you driving); or are a passenger and need a ride (each participant must register individually here).
Thank you for making our trips outstanding!