GitHub Foundations Workshop
Monday, June 16, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
GitHub & Git Foundations Course
Our Foundations class helps you, as a newcomer to GitHub and Git, fully grasp the concepts and application of distributed version control so that you can effectively begin using this productivity-enhancing suite of tools. During this live training course, we’ll explore the foundations of GitHub and Git through practical every-day commands and processes. We’ll conclude with workflow ideas and practical tips that will get you on the road to mastery of this revolutionary version control system.
- Git and your initial setup
- Git configuration and its inheritance
- SSH Authentication and your first repository
- Understanding and thinking in Git's three stages
- Adding, committing, and diff-ing code changes
- The Similarity Index; Moving, Renaming, and Removing files
- Reviewing version history in Git
- Strategies for efficiency
- Managing and using Git Remotes
- Branching, Tagging, and Stashing
- Merging, Rebasing, and managing conflicts
- Undoing your work with Git
- Understand how Git works and how to apply that to day to day development.
- Learn how GitHub makes distributed collaboration both effective and enjoyable.
- Practice the use of Pull Requests to make contributions to any project.
- Learn the basic 10 commands that will appear in your every-day use of Git.
- Know how to “back out” mistakes using Git’s incredible history and ability to revert almost any change.
- Leverage the features of GitHub for easier collaboration with colleagues.
- Discover how the offline capabilities of Git work.