Strategic planning is a vital tool for all geospatial programs at any stage of development. An effective strategic plan is crucial to ensuring that a GIS program gets started right. As a GIS program matures, strategic planning methods are important tools for program management, program review, response to change, and problem solving. An effective strategic plan will help you win program approval and funding, ensure that program goals and return on investment are achieved, and keep a program on track in a changing environment.
This workshop teaches strategic planning methods and tools in the context of developing and managing a GIS program. Participants will learn how to successfully select and apply appropriate methods in a variety of situations.
GIS managers and staff; GIS users and program participants; and managers, executives, and other professionals who are involved with GIS programs.
- Strategic planning models, methods, and tools
- Selecting and applying the best approach for any GIS situation
- Developing an initial GIS strategic plan
- Integrating GIS, IT, and organizational strategic plans
- Developing an effective action plan and ensuring follow-through
- Updating a GIS strategic plan
- Conducting a GIS program review and effecting improvement
Prerequisites and Recommendations
What You Will Receive
- 7.5 hours of instruction from our URISA-certified instructor who is a subject-matter expert.
- A copy of the workshop presentation and exercises.
- Upon completion, a signed completion certificate which will indicate the CEUs (0.75) and GISCI points (0.1875) earned.
Our Students Speak
“The practical application exercises are particularly helpful in reinforcing concepts.”
“Affordable and covered a lot of material in one day with quality course material.”
KCGIS Training Terms and Conditions
By registering for one of our classes, you agree to our Terms and Conditions; you may review them here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/GIS/Training/TermsConditions.aspx .
King County Employees: King Co. Employees are eligible for a discounted rate. Please visit "How to Register for KCGIS Training".
State of Washington Employees: Visit your Human Resources Training and Development "How to Register" web page.
Attention - Veterans with GI Bill Benefits:
Selected programs of study at the King County GIS Center are approved by the Washington State Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of veterans and eligible beneficiaries under Title 38 and Title 10, USC. For more information on GI Bill benefits see www.gibill.va.gov (external link).
If you intend to use your GI Bill Veterans education benefits, indicate so on the registration payment page and send your USVA Enrollment Certificate to email@example.com.
Save This Event
When & Where
King County GIS Center
|Cheryl Wilder||206-477-4421||Training Coordinator: Client Services|