The introduction workshop is designed for students with little or no GIS skills interested in understanding basic concepts of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and gaining skills to work with GIS on their own. The workshop will demonstrate the fundamentals of creating maps, editing data, and performing analysis. Students will gain confidence in these fundamentals through various exercises, group work, and assignments. Using Esri's ArcGIS Desktop 10, students will be exposed to the most powerful and widely used desktop GIS software package.
Students will learn to use the application to solve questions or display data such as:
• Find all sex offenders within 2000 feet of schools
• Where is the best location to open a new store?
• Identify census tracks with high income and high home ownership
• Display the number of accidents at each intersection by direction
• What areas may be impacted by sea-level rise?
The five week workshop will focus on the following:
• Understanding the setup of a GIS project
• Understanding common GIS file formats
• Performing spatial queries
• Applying basic symbols and map publishing
• Performing basic editing techniques
• Creating new datasets
• A 1 year license of Esri's ArcGIS 10x for personal use
• Hands-on lab time and opportunity to talk with instructors
• Online Esri course
• Certificate of Attendance
At completion of this workshop a student should have skills to adequately work with GIS project files, join tabular/spreadsheet data with spatial layers, create new spatial layers using queries and geoprocessing tools, symbolize map features, and publish a map. These skills may be applicable for entry-level GIS positions or internships.
Karla King, Backend Engineer at Civil Maps
What is the refund policy?
100% Refund when cancelling 4 business days prior to workshop
50% Refund within 4 business days of event
0% Refund once materials are accessed; Or proprietary software codes provided; Or 12am of first day of class and after.
Date and Time
1125 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110