GIS Careers and GeoDesign Roundtable
Monday, June 3, 2013 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
Join us to hear local professionals discuss the landscape for newly-minted geographers and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) specialists in the NYC-metro area.
Geared towards both professionals and students who are interested in or are transitioning into a geospatial career path, the roundtable participants will discuss everything from what skill sets employers are looking for to how students can gain practical experience while still in school. A special focus will be on the transformative topic of geodesign. Local government, corporations, NGOs and academia will be represented by the panelists. Participants are encouraged to ask questions of the panelists and employers are encouraged to bring job announcements.
A portion of the roundtable will highlight student lightening talks from around the area. Both students and professionals will be ready to take your questions during a talk-back following the presentations.
Stay tuned for a list of panel members and presenters!
Refreshments will be served.
Brought to you by the NYCArc User Group
Many thanks to our sponsors: Parsons Institute for Information Mapping & Esri
When & Where
NYC Arc User Group
GIS Careers and GeoDesign Roundtable Agenda
1:45 PM - Doors Open
2:00 - 2:05 PM - Welcome
2:05 PM - 2:30 PM - Student Lightning Talks
- Pratt Institute – Sadra Shahab
- Columbia University – Clara Chung and Ranjani Sarode
- CUNY School of Public Health – Danielle Bottalico
2:30 PM - 3:30 PM - Roundtable Discussion
- Steve Romalewski – Center for Urban Research at the CUNY Graduate Center
- Damien Graham - ESRI, Commercial Sector
- Andrew Nicklin – NYC DOITT
- Rob Rose – Wildlife Conservation Society
- Kristen Grady – NYC OEM, recently hired
- Paolo Palmero – United Nations, Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- Alex Lieber – AKRF
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM - Question & Answer Session
Moderator: Chris Goranson, Director, Parsons Institute for Information Mapping
Refreshments will be served