This workshop is part of our 'Masterclass' professional development and capacity-building program - learn more about the other topics in the series.
Every Masterclass has two sessions: a '101' intro/overview and a '201' deeper dive, with a facilitated in-person peer learning session scheduled in between. Register for both sessions for the best value and a complete learning experience.
This Masterclass on Fundraising is led by Mena Gainpaulsingh of International Fundraising Consultancy (Canada).
In this series we will cover the main things you need to know to build resources and support for your organization. Whether you are a registered charity, non-profit organization or social enterprise, you will discover what it takes to compel people and organizations to get behind what you do and offer resources to help you to thrive.
101 Session: Wednesday October 19th, 9:00-11:00am
In this first session, you will learn:
- The key elements to your value proposition/Case for Support so that you can reach out to prospective funders with confidence
- Understand what different types of funders are looking for and how to give them what they need
- Identify how you can make your value proposition stand out
- Discover the different methods of identifying and engaging your potential funders
- An overview of the different strategies you can adopt to raise funds, and how they vary in approach and results
As a result of this session, you will have a good sense of how to develop your value proposition or Case for Support, begin to evaluate the funding streams that might work for you, and start to understand which methods of approach you should adopt to drive your funding program forward.
Peer Learning Session: Wednesday November 2nd, 9:00-11:00am
Want your Masterclass to have a greater impact? Attend this peer learning session to revisit your learning topic, discuss specific challenges, consider solutions, and uncover additional resources that will help you achieve your learning goals. The peer learning session will help you stay focused, be accountable, and make sure your learning creates value for your organization and communities.
In this session, through a facilitated brainstorm, we will begin to discuss your own value proposition, their strengths, weaknesses and how they can be further developed to create the best impact with potential funders. We will also explore the different types of funder that could support your initiatives and how you might need to tailor your approach to meet their needs.
In preparation for this session, you will be required to have drafted your Value Proposition or Case for Support and put some thought into the funders you wish to reach out to. Following this session, you will have firmed up your Case for Support and developed a stronger understanding of what your chosen funders might need from you.
This session will be run by Impact Hub's learning facilitator Nico Koenig, and is a value-added benefit for those who register for the 101 and 101+201 workshops. It also includes access to an online learning forum.
201 Session: Wednesday November 16th, 9:00-11:00am
Implementing Your Program
While a strategy is essential in building an effective funding program, it is only good so far as you can implement it. In this session, we will talk about how you put your ideas into action and get results. This will include:
- Taking a deeper look at how you can implement the different strategies required to raise funds from different sources, the implications of raising funds from each and how you can make them work for your own organization
- Learning how to prioritise your funding streams so that you are able to have the most impact based upon the resources you have at your disposal
- Discussing how to manage expectations so that you can grow at a realistic and sustainable rate
- Understand what additional resources you may need to bring on board to implement different funding methodologies in your organization
Who is this for?
Anyone interested in learning these topics are welcome, but purpose-driven individuals and social impact sector organizations (non-profit, charitable, philanthropic, public sector, or social enterprise communities) will find our Masterclass courses particularly useful and relevant. Basically, if our motto "do good better" resonates with you, then you will likely find this enjoyable!
What is Masterclass @ Impact Hub Ottawa?
Masterclass is part of Impact Hub Ottawa's professional development and capacity-building programming. A variety of topics relevant to the social impact sector is crowdsourced from the community, resulting in hands-on workshops led by subject matter experts. Learn more about the other Masterclasses on our website.
How do I get there?
Impact Hub is located on the east side of Bank St between Sparks and Queen. We are a wheelchair-accessible location, directly on OC Transpo's 1/2/7 route and a couple blocks from the Transitway, with ample bike parking in the area. For those who need to drive, there are multiple underground parking garages in the area. Please be advised that due to construction, Queen is currently one-way eastbound (between Bay and Metcalfe) and Bank is one-way northbound between Albert and Wellington.