Part foraging tour, part DIY cultivation lecture, this excursion is a great introduction into the world of mycology. Join the MoTown Mushrooms team for a 1 mile stroll around Joiner Brook in Bolton Valley and learn about common edible mushrooms in New England, basic identification and companion gardening. Forage our wild crafted mushroom beds as well as nature owns bounty. Stay afterwards for the "plug-a-log" workshop, where we will teach you how to inoculate hardwood logs, so you can grow your own gourmet mushrooms at home.
1.5 hr guided mushroom walk……..……………………………….......................…...$20
1.5 hr guided mushroom walk + 1 hour of "plug-a-log" workshop.............….$35
(all materials included, the log you make is yours to keep and it will grow gourmet mushrooms )
Kids under 12 free! Well behaved dogs welcome.
Things you may want to bring:
- Rain jacket (event goes rain or shine)
- Hiking boots (it may be muddy)
- Basket or any other container (to collect your booty)
- Walking Stick (we will be walking on uneven terrain)
- A small knife and a brush (it's best to clean the shrooms as soon as you harvest them)
- A cordless drill and a hammer (there will be some, but you'll have to share)
The fine print:
- Group size requirements: Minimum 6 – Maximum 20 people
- We cannot guarantee you are going to find any wild edibles during the walk
- Parking is very limited, so please carpool if possible
- Please arrive 10 minutes early, tour leaves right on time
- A Liability Waiver is required to participate on this event. Please print, sign and present with your tickets the day of the event.
- All activities occur outdoors, with no facilities available.