Actions and Detail Panel
From Page to Podium With Mel Ryane
Sat, May 20, 2017, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT
Writers are often daunted by the idea of reading their work aloud, whether in a classroom situation or public presentation. This workshop will teach writers to see their reading as a gift to their audience. Using the same tools employed by professional actors, you will learn to prepare and present confident, clear public readings and to use reading aloud as a valuable self-editing tool. Neither acting nor public speaking experience is necessary to benefit from the craft of acting.
During the course of this workshop you will:
▪ Bring a piece of your work you wish to read (one page, double-spaced, two copies).
▪ Be led in voice and body warm-ups using breathing and vocal exercises.
▪ Read aloud excerpts of published works by other writers to study pacing, phrasing, word choice and themes.
▪ Be coached individually by Mel as you read your work, with the class observing.
▪ Time permitting, you will get a second opportunity to read for the class integrating the techniques you've learned.
What's the refund policy
The Flatiron Writers Room reserves the right to cancel this workshop if not enough people sign up, in which case you will receive a full refund. You may cancel your registration up until 5 p.m. on May 13, 2017, via Eventbrite for a full refund. After that date, no refunds will be made.