Actions and Detail Panel
Free Tours of Pinellas County Solid Waste Management Facility
Fri, June 2, 2017, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM EDT
No Such Place As AWAY! Ever wonder what happens to your garbage when you throw it away? This free presentation covers Pinellas County’s integrated solid waste management system; including waste-to-energy, sanitary landfills, recycling programs, and the household electronics and chemical collection center (HEC₃). Audiences are encouraged to take responsibility by reducing, reusing, and recycling their wastes and “closing the loop” by shopping for items made with post-consumer recycled content. Learn how Pinellas County recovers energy and metal from burning garbage.
• Site tours are approx. 90 minutes
• Consists of a classroom component and a driving tour of the site.
• The classroom component typically includes a Power Point presentation and a question-and-answer session with the tour guide.
• The driving tour typically takes 45 minutes and may include visits to the scale house, tipping floor, hand unload, mulch area, the Waste-to-Energy plant, landfill, and the Household Electronics and Chemical Collection Center (HEC₃). Tour participants would exit vehicles if visiting the HEC₃ facility; otherwise the entire tour is within the touring vehicle. Tour components subject to change.
• Tour will vary based on the size and mobility of the group, the vehicle, the time frame, the interest, visitor participation, weather and conditions on site.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
No ID is required. Ages 7 and up are welcome.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Arrive in your own vehicle. Once on-site, Pinellas County will provide tour transportation.
What if I need accessible transporation accomodations?
Please let us know what accomodations are needed 10 days prior to tour.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
It is not necessary to bring a printed ticket to the tour.
What if I need to cancel my tour reservation?
Please contact us with 24 hours of your reservation at (727) 464-7500 to let us know that you will not be attending.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
You may contact us at (727) 464-7500 with any questions.