Free Tour of the SF Oceanside Treatment Plant
Have you ever wondered what happens to the water from your shower, laundry and toilet after it goes down the drain? What about stormwater and runoff from lawns and gardens?
The SF Public Utilities Commission invites San Francisco residents on a free tour of our Wastewater Treatment Plant. You'll learn about the history of wastewater treatment in San Francisco, tips on preventing pollution of our Bay and Ocean, and best of all, you'll go behind the scenes to see how this vital piece of infrastructure works. Attendees are encouraged to take photos during the tour; please post to social media using the hashtag, #sfsewer.
Visitors must be at least 9 years old to take the tour.
Oceanside Wastewater Treatment Plant
Please arrive by 9:45 AM so we can start on time.
PLEASE NOTE: Great Highway Entrance is now Open
Directions from I-280
1. Head northwest on I-280 N
2. Take exit 47 to merge onto CA-1 S toward Pacifica
3. Take exit 508B for CA-35 N toward Skyline Blvd N
4. Merge onto CA-35/Skyline Blvd
5. Make a U-turn
6. Turn right onto Great Hwy
Directions from MUNI
MUNI has several lines that will get you within 15 minutes walking of our plant. Let us know if you plan to take MUNI as construction may close the eastern entrance to the plant, making it difficult to reach the plant as a pedestrian.
The closest MUNI stops are:
- The 18 stop at Skyline and Harding
- The 23 stop at Great Highway and Sloat
- The L-Taraval stop at Wawona/46th/SF Zoo
Ample parking is available once you have entered the plant. Two parking areas are available, one in a covered area just to your left as you enter the plant as well as in the open air parking area just beyond that. Please come to the building in the northern section of the open air parking lot; we will have a welcome sign and you can proceed to the top of the stairs and down the hall to the left to our meeting room.
The treatment plant is a functioning industrial site operating 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Hard hats are provided and must be worn at all times. Sturdy shoes and long pants are required for your safety and comfort. No flip-flops, sandals, clogs, open toed shoes, shorts, or skirts.
* Attendees over 18 years of age must present a valid photo ID on the day of the tour. All tour participants must be 9 years or older.
* In the event of rain, tours may be modified or cancelled due to safety concerns.
Please be advised that due to security issues we reserve the right to refuse anyone from taking part in a tour. We also reserve the right to cancel tours in the event of an emergency. Thank you!