Legal Aid of North Carolina's free simple divorce clinic teaches participants how to file a simple divorce action in court without hiring an attorney. We provide a packet with legal documents and an instructional video. At the end of the video, participants can ask general questions to a volunteer attorney through the webinar. Specific legal advice is not provided at these clinics.
**PLEASE NOTE: Filing for divorce affects your rights to property division, spousal support, and alimony. You could lose important rights by filing for divorce. If you wish to pursue property division, spousal support, or alimony, you should consult with a private attorney to discuss your legal rights before filing. You are always welcome to attend the client for general information, but the clinic does NOT specifically address these issues.
Clinics are located in most NC counties. If you do not see a clinic in your city or county, please check the surrounding counties in your area. Most of the materials for the clinic are located online as well. The packet is at www.lawhelpnc.org.
TO REGISTER: Click the blue “SELECT A DATE” button above. The page will refresh, and a green “REGISTER” button will replace the “SELECT A DATE” button. Click the green “REGISTER” button to continue registering for this date. To pick a different date, use the “Select a different date” drop-down menu on the right, then click the green “REGISTER” button at the top of your screen to select a free ticket at the location of your choice.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- Free parking is available at each location. Most locations are accessible by public transportation.
What should I bring to the event?
- You should only need a pen. We will provide the legal forms. Please do not bring small children to the clinic if possible.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
- No. You do not need to bring a printed ticket or show an electronic version of a ticket at the clinic. You may be asked to sign in when you arrive at the clinic.
Can I attend a clinic without registering online?
- You can attend the clinic without registering only if space is available. If space is not available, we will ask you to reserve a ticket for a future clinic.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Please call the Legal Aid Helpline at 866-219-5262 with any questions about the clinic.
Date and Time