Are you a professional web designer/developer interested in APIs and mobile development, or an enterprise developer looking to expand your skill set around APIs and mobile? Do you have data or services that you need to expose via APIs in a mobile app? Got a great idea for an API-driven mobile app, but don't know where to start?
Join your fellow developers for a free, one-day workshop hosted by Apigee and learn to build and deploy RESTful APIs using Node.js and Swagger, and then build an API-powered mobile app for iOS and/or Android with the Ionic framework and AngularJS!
During the course of the workshop, we'll cover topics such as:
Regardless of your background, at the end of this hands-on workshop, you will have a solid understanding of how to build APIs and consume them in web or mobile applications. And you will also have built a fully functional mobile app using the Ionic framework and AngularJS!
The workshop is completely free – and all of the software & services we’ll be using are free and open source!
Who should attend?
This workshop is targeted at professional developers (web, mobile, backend, enterprise). Hobbyists are welcome, however, due to the amount of material to be covered there is no time to assist with software installation issues.
- A laptop: minimum OS requirements is Mac OS X 10.9 to build for iOS or Android, or a Windows laptop to build for Android.
- Preinstall Software: prior to arrival at the workshop, please ensure that you have installed Node.js, npm (should be installed by Node.js) and git. From the Command prompt (Terminal on Mac), type "node --version", "npm --version" and "git version". If you do not see a version number, you will need to install it. The Ignite Engine uses CocoaPods on the Mac to manage its dependencies. Before you start, open Terminal and run "sudo gem install cocoapods" to install the CocoaPods CLI.
- Xcode: you will be using tools in Xcode to compile your app for iOS and view it in the simulator. If you would like to install the app on your iOS device, you need to be a registered Apple developer or have access to an enterprise certificate.
- Android Studio: you will be using tools in Android Studio to compile your app for Android and view it in the simulator.
- 8:30am - 9:00am: Doors open — registration and coffee
- Crash course in Node.js
- Best Practices in RESTful API design
- Intro to Ionic and AngularJS
- Lunch break (provided by Apigee)
- Using Swagger and Node.js to build APIs
- Consuming APIs in a mobile app
- Deploying APIs to Apigee Edge (or AWS, Heroku, etc)
- 5:00pm: Q&A and drinkup! (Beers/wine provided by Apigee at a local watering hole.)
Here’s what previous attendees have to say about previous workshops from Apigee…
- That was one of the best geek sessions I've ever been to. 1000 Thank you's to @Apigee. I'm officially a fan. – @The_Internauts
- Had an insightful day yesterday at an @Apigee workshop (#html5 & #phonegap). @garazi was brilliant. And it was completely free :-0 – @amanoncaltrain
- Great Job @garazi and @Apigee at your FREE Zero to App Store workshop with Hybrid Application Development! Your community support is amazing! – @geoffreyemery
- Amazing tutorial about how to use phonegap! You make me look at app building in a much easier way. Thank you, you rock! – @gasvideos
- Wonderful HTML5/CSS/JS and phonegap workshop today - and thanks to #apigee for making it free! – @cmetgher
- Thank u for sharing your knowledge today. Priceless insights from one of the best on everything web related #apigee – @bluesuits
- Great workshop by @garazi from #Apigee. Good stuff, and it was free! – @ActiveNick
About the Instructor
Greg is a Developer Evangelist at Apigee. Greg has been working in the web industry literally since the web was born – he was hand-coding HTML before the table tag was even "invented". His career has taken him around the world, from the early days of desktop publishing, to a start-up in Hamburg, Germany where he helped build one of the first HTML authoring tools, the glory days of the web at Macromedia as the Technical Product Manager for Dreamweaver, and finally his role as Principal Evangelist at Adobe prior to joining Apigee. Greg has spoken about web technologies at over 500 industry conferences around the world, as well as being a published author.
When & Where
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps powered by APIs, manage and scale their APIs, and get real-time insights into their digital presence. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/