with the MPLS Swappers
Food Talks is a new event sponsored by the MPLS Swappers intended to create a forum to build community, share knowledge, tell stories, and encourage discussion around a variety of food-centered topics. Each Food Talks event will feature a potluck-style meal and a series of short talks given by attendees. Share a story about a traditional family recipe. Discuss issues of food access in your neighborhood. Talk people through what to look for when buying a new knife. Share your experience with going gluten-free. The options are endless, and anyone is welcome to attend! This is a family friendly event.
We will also be giving an update on the status of our food swaps and our discussions with the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture, so we'd love to see some of our food swap regulars in attendance.
Cost: $5 suggested donation at the door.
No one will be turned away for lack of funds. Money will be used to cover use of the space and other incremental expenses.
Food Talks will kick off with a dinner potluck. Please bring a dish to pass as you are able!
- If possible, please bring a list of ingredients in your dish to be sensitive to the dietary choices and restrictions of those in our community.
- Please bring your own dish, silverware, and cup. Minnehaha Free Space does not provide these items and we do not want to use disposable.
- Please do not bring alcohol to the event.
Note: If you are unable to bring a dish to share for significant personal reasons, please feel free to attend regardless. We will have plenty of food to share.
After we eat, we will sit back and listen to 4-5 informalpresentations with food at their core, lasting 5-10 minutes each. We are looking for presenters for our first event, and nearly any topic dealing with food is fair game! Share your passion, knowledge, and interests with a like-minded community.
- storytelling: family food traditions, travel food stories, favorite recipe history, best meal you’ve ever had or made, etc.
- how-to/instructive: vegan cooking, recipe substitutions, tips for grilling, basic canning equipment, favorite flours for baking bread, tips for buying new knives, how to sharpen a knife, etc.
- topic exploration: food access, food politics, nutrition, dietary lifestyle choices, food allergies/intolerances, healing foods, philosophy, etc.
If you are interested in presenting, you will have the opportunity to share your interest on the registration form. We will contact you to discuss your interest further.
Note: We will accept presentation topics on a combination of first-come first-serve and topic/preparedness. Please keep in mind that we are not able to accommodate cooking demonstrations using kitchen equipment - at this time we are only accepting discussion-based presentations. A projector, screen, and large white board are available for our use. Please share your needs in the form if possible.
Interested in Attending?
Complete a registration to reserve spot for each person attending (children under 12 do not need to register). If you are interested in presenting, fill in the designated area in the registration form.
If you register and find you are unable to attend, please email MPLSSwappers@gmail.com as soon as possible so we can release your spot.
Please email email@example.com with questions.
When & Where
MPLS Swappers in a Minneapolis-based food swap, dedicated to building community through the exchange of homemade food. Anyone with a passion for producing, growing, or foraging wholesome food is welcome to participate!