Food Marketing Claims in the United States: Regulatory and Litigation Risks, Defenses and Best Practices
Friday, March 29, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 11:15 AM (PDT)
Palo Alto, CA
This training covers challenges to food marketing claims in FDA and FTC enforcement actions, consumer class action lawsuits, and proceedings brought by the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus (NAD). It will discuss how to assess risk when considering claims, strategies for defending actions, and marketing trends in the food industry.
Why Should You Attend:
The increasing use of marketing claims to promote health-related benefits of food, and product attributes such as “natural,” has resulted in more regulatory challenges as well as a flood of class action lawsuits brought by private plaintiffs under state consumer protection laws.
This webinar will help you evaluate the likelihood of challenges to marketing claims by providing you an understanding of the enforcement positions taken by the regulatory agencies, the legal theories relied upon by private plaintiffs, the standards underlying NAD decisions, and the relationship between regulatory and litigation risks. Effective risk management requires careful review of proposed marketing claims at the outset, which may include wording, placement, context, scientific substantiation and production steps. Defending class action lawsuits can have serious financial implications for food companies even if the case does not appear to be meritorious. This session will cover litigation strategies that involve an early evaluation of both procedural and substantive issues, with an initial focus on seeking to defeat class certification.
Areas Covered in the Seminar:
- FDA requirements for labeling claims.
- FTC requirements for advertising claims.
- Overview of state consumer fraud laws.
- NAD standards.
- FDA enforcement actions.
- FTC enforcement actions.
- NAD decisions.
- Class action lawsuits.
- Risk assessments for claims.
- Industry trends regarding marketing claims.
Date: March 29, 2013
Time: 10:00 AM-11:15 AM PDT
Cost: $199 per attendee per computer terminal
Registration: SIgn-Up on-line now. Add to your shopping cart.
When & Where
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.