During this presentation, graphic artist Carol Gunn will showcase project-based case studies featuring illustration and typography in Illustrator and Photoshop, with a special emphasis on customizing typographic designs, and a brief overview of finishing projects in InDesign and Acrobat Pro.
Topics will include:
- Brief intro to typography basics: kerning, tracking, and leading
- Creating typographic designs by customizing Open Type fonts using glyphs: built-in character stylistic alternates, terminal forms, ligatures, swashes, and decorative elements
- Converting live type to vector outlines for further customization
- Importing customized type outlines into Photoshop and creating masks to add textures and effects
- Bringing it all together and adding body type in InDesign Exporting to Acrobat Pro to finalize artwork for print and web.
About the presenter
Carol Gunn is an experienced freelance graphic designer for print and web, also specializing in photography and illustration. Expert Level in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and Intermediate Level in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
Sole proprietor of freelance graphic design business since 2002. Previously, in-house graphic designer for a worldwide manufacturer. Prior design experience includes art departments of three TV stations and a newspaper. Based in Austin, TX.
- Corporate branding and identity
- Logo design
- Photo manipulation and retouching
- Illustration, hand-drawn/painted and computer Illustrator/Photoshop)
- Photography (tabletop product shots and portraits)
- T-shirt design (digital and silkscreen)
- Turn-key print advertising from design through delivery of printed pieces (posters, brochures, packaging, print ads, trade show banners, etc.) and adaptation of those materials for web
- Copywriting and editing