Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions page!
If you feel that this page was not clear or did not answer a specific question - please email us NYTWevents@gmail.com
1. Q: Aren’t there several groups that host weekends/events for this crowd? Why should I come to a NYTW weekend?
A: There may be other groups out there, but none are run like NYTW events!
2. Q: How is an NYTW event different from the others?
A: Yaakov is a certified life coach specializing in communication and relationships. He adds his special touch to all of his events and especially weekends. Every event of his offers an interactive workshop where you get some practical advice about dating as well as your questions answered - to the point. He always makes time during the event if someone wants to talk to him privately. Plus, he offers follow-up guidance.
3. Q: It sounds great that Yaakov offeres so much, but he’s only one person – can he handle the entire crowd?
A: No, he does not do everything on his own. However, Yaakov discusses with his committee members what he expects from them prior to the event. In fact, he takes their advice very seriously.
EVENT CHAIR, Yaakov Grunstein will be in charge of the overall program, making sure things are running smoothly as he always has. But the committee has a huge impact on the event!
4. Q: That sounds great, but it is so hard to meet people at these events.
A: The NYTW team creates an atmosphere which is laid back and so it lends to the ease of meeting people. The married staff, who have been involved as singles for several years, are there to help you in case you want to be introduced to another.
5. Q: Have any matches come out of such events.
A: In the past few years we have over 40 matches - many of which are with people that met at the evnets.
6. Q: I hate the concept where the guys feel they have to ask a girl for her number or the evening was a failure - will the girls be put on the spot?
A: No one is obligated to give out their number! If you don't feel comfortable, just say so, or say you prefer if a third party was involved in facilitating (our team will be happy to do so for you)!
7. Q: How many years have you been doing this?
A: Although Not Your Typical Weekend launched its first event Labor day Weekend 2009, Yaakov has been involved with events for years before that. Since NYTW opened its doors we have ran approximately 50 events.
8. Q: These events all sound great, but they are so expensive, how do you do it so cheap?
A: We try to keep our events priced as low as possible. In fact, Yaakov works very hard to stay within an affordable budget, and often has to work out special deals and/or get sponsorships to keep his prices as low as he does. The events are as close to “at-cost” as possible. Yaakov makes nothing off his events (and sometimes even takes a small loss when necessary to make sure, to the best of his abilities, that he delivers everything he promises.) His events are quality events! You cannot get a better price for everything that you will get at his events, anywhere else!
9. Q: Who is Yaakov?
A: Yaakov Grunstein. He has been running events for over a decade for both the modern and machmir crowd, (both together and individually) first he spear headed Shidduch Convention before SYAS came into existance, then as a volunteer co-organizer for other organizations and eventually starting up on his own. He is also a certified life coach, specializing in relationships and communication. You can check out his website: www.PeacefulResolutionsUSA.com.
10. Q: Who are the committee members?
A: A team of dedicated people, mostly young singles, that simply care about what we are doing & want to help the community
11. Q: I heard at some places check-in is a nightmare - how is it by NYTW events?
A: To date, we have never had a problem. Yaakov personally takes care of the rooming assignments. On the rear occasion that there is some sort of glitch, Yaakov is always readily available, on site, and personally attends to the situation.
12. Q: Who is the caterer? We heard crazy stories about some of these places.
A: Yaakov only hires "quality" professional staff. Yosef Oldak caters all year round!
13. Q: This sounds great! I would love to help out - how can I?
A: There are a few ways:
a)Tell your friends - add them to the event page on FB
b)Email Yaakov at NotYourTypicalWeekend@yahoo.com if you want to personally be involved
c) We can always use sponsors! If you know of anyone that would like to help out, whether it is a gift certificate, money for one person, advertise through our huge mailing list, or to sponsor an event - please email Yaakov their contact info.
14. Q: Do you ever have any scholarships?
A: On occasion we get a sponsor or someone that wants to advertise with us. That money goes toward scholarships!