The Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (EMT -P) level, is a 1,200 hour classroom and field based emergency medical training program. (prerequisite to admission is EMT-Basic and Anatomy & Physiology for Paramedics)
This course is approved by the Michigan Department of Community Health EMS & Trauma Systems Section. Upon successful completion, students are eligible to take the National Registry Certification test as required by the State of Michigan for licensure.
This level of education is directed at preparing students to enter into intermediate and/or advanced level emergency response positions in private ambulance services, fire departments and as hospital emergency room technicians.
The Paramedic level course curriculum, prepares the student to perform a variety of medical techniques including but not limited to:
- Advanced airway control including surgical cricothyrotomy
- More in-depth understanding of anatomy physiology and pathophysiology of disease process
- Intravenous fluid and medication administration
- More definitive and comprehensive patient assessment techniques
- Emergent pharmacological administration
- Advanced cardiovascular assessment and treatment including 12 lead ECG interpretation
- Advanced cardiac life support certification (ACLS)
- In depth focus on: pulmonology, cardiology, neurology, endocrinology, urology, gastroenterology, neonatology, obstetrics/gynecology, pediatrics, gerontology
- A more comprehensive look at disease including acid base balance and blood chemistry
- Dealing with more complex medical and traumatic life-threatening illness and/or injuries
- Pediatric assessment and field treatment including Intra-osseous cannulation and fluid therapy
- Assisting hospital personnel with more advanced care
Students are evaluated in the following core competency areas: didactic, practical, clinical and internship performance. In addition, Students achieving an 80% or higher will receive a certificate of completion and are eligible for State licensure. Practical skills are graded on a pass/fail basis and students will be required to pass all practical examinations to successfully complete the program. All clinical and internship rotations are graded on attendance, attitude and skills performance which are evaluated by field mentors, a clinical coordinator and/or the course instructor.
Prerequisite NOTICE: You must be a licensed EMT (or eleigible for licensure) in the State of Michigan prior to registering for the Paramedic course. Students must also have successfully complete the Anatomy & Physiology for Paramedics course prior to registering for the EMT-P course OR have taken a 3-4 credit hour human anatomy & physiology course (with a lab) at an approved college or university. (Students must submit proof of the A&P course if not taken at HVA's EMS Education).
COURSE DATES:9/7/16 to 10/24/17; T/Th from 6:00pm to 10:30pm along with specified Saturday sessions. Saturdays will meet from 8:00am to 5:000pm.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE THREE (3) SEMESTERS TO THIS PROGRAM. SEMESTER ONE ENDS ON 1/10/2017; THE COURSE IN ITS ENTIRETY ENDS ON 10/24/2017. EACH SEMESTER MUST BE PAID SEPARATELY. Please continue to read on regarding tuition payments.
TOTAL TUITION = $5,800.00. Students must pay for the first semester of tuition ($2,100.00) in full at the time of registration. There will be TWO more tuition payments, as follows:
Semester 2 (Due: 1/12/17) = $2,100.00, Semester 3 (Due: 6/1/17) = $1,600.00.
TOTAL TUITION = $5,800.00
HVA does not offer any type of payment plan for Paramedic course tuition.
TUITION & FEES
All tuition and fees are due upon registration. All registrations are first come, first enrolled! Students who do not have a credit card to complete the registration process online, must register for class and make payment in person at HVA’s EMS Education, 1200 State Circle, Ann Arbor, MI. The deadline to register for any program is TWO WEEKS prior to class, no exceptions, providing spaces are available!
NOTE: HVA’S EMS Education retains the right to deny any application, for any reason. If the school denies the application of a student before the first day of class, all tuition and fees paid will be refunded. There are NO REFUNDS for course supplies, including textbooks, uniforms, required equipment, or costs incurred for background checks and drug screens.
ALL TUITION FEES paid by the applicant shall be refunded if requested in writing within three (3) business days after registering for any HVA sponsored course.
Otherwise, if a student withdraws or is dismissed from the program for any reason AFTER the 3 business days following registration, they will be responsible for payment according to the following schedule:
- Students who withdraw two weeks prior to the start of class/module for any EMS course will receive a full refund of the course tuition, less a $25 administration fee. The student must notify HVA EMS Education department in writing.
- Students who fail to give at least two weeks notice (in writing), or who fail to withdraw prior to the start of the (2nd) second week of class, will forfeit 25% of the total course tuition.
- After the start of any EMS course, any student who fails to withdraw prior to the start of the (3rd) third week of class, will forfeit 100% of the total course tuition.
All refunds are returned within 30 days.
HVA's EMS Education is approved for VA Eligible students. For more information on how to register and use your Post 911 or Montgomery GI benefits, please contact the school at 734/477-6331 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TEXTBOOKS/UNIFORMS/OTHER SUPPLIES/STUDENT WELCOME PACKET
Please note that Tuition DOES NOT include textbooks, student uniforms, or other required supplies. These items are purchased separately. For information on purchasing TEXTBOOKS, student UNIFORMS and OTHER REQUIRED SUPPLIES for the course, please refer to the STUDENT WELCOME PACKET which will be emailed out to you shortly after your registration is received and processed. This email will be sent directly to the email address you provide at the time of registration so please be sure to use a valid email that you check on a regular basis!