Projects succeed, projects fail. The successes are reported on, the failures are filed away. Or, in the case of most international development and ICT4D projects, pushed under the proverbial rug. Well, its time to bring out the failures, with a sense of humor, and with an honest look at ourselves. Hence was born Fail Faire.
Fail Faire DC features projects using ICT in international development that have, to put it simply, been a #FAIL. Busted, kaputt. Tongue firmly in cheek, we take a close look at what didn’t work and why projects fail amidst the ICTD hype.
We believe that only if we understand what DOESN’T WORK in this field and stop pushing our failures under the rug, can we collectively learn and get better, more effective, and have greater impact as we go forward.
Fail Faire DC 2011: a celebration of failure
Fail Faire DC 2011 is a real celebration of failure as a mark of innovation and risk-taking. We will have great speakers with fun, fast, Ignite-style presentations of their professional failures. Audience participation is not only encouraged, it is mandatory! We are all peers and none of us is perfect. Expect much laughter as we navel-gaze at where we have all gone wrong in ICT and international development.
Yet don't forget that we are all here to LEARN from failure. Failure is no reason to be ashamed. Failure shows leadership, innovation, and risk-taking in pushing the boundaries of what is possible in scaling ideas from pilots to global programs. There is great value in examining our mistakes as we go beyond the easy and the simple. So while we encourage irreverence and humor, don't forget to learn something too.
We will have light refreshments to lubricate the conversation and there will be an after-party to continue the celebration. However, an RSVP is mandatory for attendance.
Fail Faire DC 2011 will happen on October 13th at the World Bank.Those that RSVP'ed will be sent the specific room location just before the event.
- 6:00pm: Welcome and drinks
- 6:30pm: #FAIL-Slam
- 7:30pm: Open Discussion
- 8:00pm: Mingling, learning, networking, more drinks
Featured Speakers (so far)
- Dr. Tessie San Martin, CEO, Plan International USA
- Ian Schuler, Internet Freedom Programs, U.S. Department of State
- Erin Mote, Chief of Party, USAID Global Broadband and Innovations Alliance
- Andrea Bosch, ICT Advisor and Chief of Party, TILO Egypt, Creative Associates
- Dr. Harshad Sanghvi, Vice President of Innovations & Medical Director, Jhpiego
- Kristin Peterson, CEO & Co-founder, Inveneo
- Brian Forde, President, Llamadas, S.A.
- Allison Stone, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Peter Bauman, Conflict Specialist, International Relief & Development
- Jacobo Quintanilla, Director of Humanitarian Media, Internews Network
- Ed Anderson, World Bank, on their 70% ICT4D failure rate
- Sean DeWitt, Technology Programs Manager, Grameen Foundation
- Development Gateway
Sept 13 Update
Wow, we sold out in 5 hours flat! Sign up to get alerts and updates of this and future Fail Faire DC events.
When & Where
Kurante is a partnership between Wayan Vota and Linda Raftree to expand the ICT4D community.