Actions and Detail Panel
Etsy as a Pleasant Path to Prosperity (DeLand)
Sat, May 6, 2017, 2:30 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
YOU are an ARTIST or a DESIGNER or a THRIFTER or a MAKER (of some sort) and you need someone to “handle the business side” of things because you’re "too right brained."
My love: that is a myth that (often broke) creative peope tell themselves. It’s not true at all. In fact, doing business IS an art form... the way I practice it. You just need someone to teach you a little **technique** and introduce you to some **tools** and how they work.
In the past decade, roadblocks to entrepreneurial activity have all but evaporated. With the advent of the internet, social media and online marketplaces such as Etsy, creative people off all stripes now have direct access to areas that were previously heavily guarded and hard to access:
- Ideal Customers (those most likely to want what you've got)
- Manufacturers (people who can help you produce & scale)
- Marketing channels (ways to tell people you exist)
- Distributions (access to discounted, convenient and streamlined shipping & fullfillment)
Also - look around - after decades of monotonous mass produced goods, a movement for independent and artisan quality goods has come back in favor where authenticity and even oddity is the draw.
These fallen "barriers to entry" and new demand have created fertile ground for the rise of the solopreneur or side hustle and created opportunities for low risk entrepreneurial activity.
Julie Wilder did business the “hard” way - she was the co-founder and co-owner of Dandelion Communitea Cafe, which grew to $1.5 million in revenue and 15,000 facebook fans by her exit in 2015. After a decade of exhilarating but extremely stressful "success" as a social entrepreneur, she knew that there had to be an easier way. She wanted to work smarter, not harder, and now understood the pitfalls of doing too much, too fast with too many partners.
This four hour workshop designed for creative people will introduce the power of the Etsy marketplace to teach you the art of business with an emphasis on strategic thinking. The workshop is broken into four components:
- How I made $15k in 2016 working part time on an astrology calendar
- A back door tour of the Etsy shopkeeper & wholesale portal
- Insights drawing on 10+ years of being a localist, artist and successful social entrepreneur.
- Harnessing group wisdom to assess your idea, products or existing etsy shop to brainstorm ways to boost your business.
(scroll down for more details on each component)
Who Should Attend: Since this is primarily a strategic thinking workshop, anyone can attend who has an interest in side hustles - starting one or growing one. Existing Etsy shopkeepers and those curious about the potential of Etsy will both find it accessible and valuable.
Cost: $50 deposit to reserve your seat + $50 due the day of the workshop. If you don’t feel 200% satisfied, you keep the remainder. This is a tax deductible business expense & investment in your future! (pre-purchase required to reserve your seat)
Details of Each Component
1) MY ETSY SUCCESS STORY:
- The evolution of my “side hustle” that has grown organically into a stable income stream, bringing financial freedom & creative sovereignty in a matter of a just a few years.
- My strategy for using the Etsy marketplace to earn $5,000 in 2015 and then $15,000 in 2016 on one highly profitable product, working only part-time from my home.
- My strategy for doubling that sales figure next year & becoming a full time brand manager focused solely on passion projects and allowing me to design a lifestyle that works for my single parent household.
2) THE POWER & LEARN-AS-YOU-GO MODEL OF ETSY
- What is possible on Etsy (it’s waaaay more than handmade - designers, craft suppliers and vintage too) and who can participate (individuals or indie companies, collectives & collaborative efforts).
- I will show you the “back door” to Etsy so you can see how listings are created, how easy the shipping module is and how payments and reports work. (This will be an overview focused on strategic business mentality. There are abundant free resources online to walk you through the technical steps of setting up a shop or items.)
- The power of this portal to test & validate a product without any up front capital and how & when to expand into other market channels, wholesale clients, distribution and outsource fullfillment.
- Marketing & social media strategy to drive traffic to your shop.
3) ADVICE FROM A SEASONED ENTREPRENEUR
- Why I think Etsypreneurism is the safest path to financial freedom & should be a required course in every high school, domestic violence shelter and SBA office.
- How & why to start small on this online marketplace to learn business skills on the fly & mess up in small ways before launching something with a bigger financial risk. An Etsy shop can be built as an experiment just to learn and make a few bucks on the side.
- How to think like a designer & brand manager. Embracing savvy stewardship of your products (that keeps your soul intact) instead of stumbling towards success using tacky sales tactics.
- How to maintain creative control over your business & brand to preserve your artistic integrity and ethics as you grow.
4) PEER CONSULTATION & COACHING
- Participants will be invited to share their product, shop or concept with the group for review if they would like.
- We will harness group wisdom to brainstorm about your business (whatever stage you are at) and give advice where you need it the most.
- Professional branding & styling tips for your target market.
And, quite likely, a whole bunch of other stuff as I thrive in Q&A mode.
*** I am not affiliated with Etsy other than being a shopkeeper. These teachings are my own and I do not get any perks from Etsy for promoting their marketplace or referrals. *****