Actions and Detail Panel
End of Life Care & Letting Go: Providing Care in the Final Stages of Dement...
Sat, December 9, 2017, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM HST
End of Life Care & Letting Go: Providing Care in the Final Stages of Dementia
Please join Dorothy Colby for a Positive Approach to Care™ seminar, developed by Teepa Snow (www.teepasnow.com), that will provide essential information on how to have a positive and meaningful relationship with loved ones with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia throughout their journey. Participants leave sessions with a better understanding about the devastating experience of losing cognitive ability and/or functionality as well as insights into interpreting needs.
This 2-hour skills-based workshop is based on Teepa Snow's Positive Approach to Care philosophy. This dementia care workshop is for anyone wishes to improve their ability to approach, connect and provide care with those living with dementia.
Recommended for family members who provide direct care, professional care providers and volunteers who work with people living with dementia.
• Learn to recognize a patient’s progression into the final stages of dementia and provide the best care with Teepa Snow’s hands-on, disease-level appropriate techniques.
• How to connect with someone in late stage dementia, how to recognize and manage pain, and how to help the care team grieve the loss and celebrate the person’s life.
• Learn about indicators that the disease has progressed into its final stages and how to provide the most effective comfort care
• Learn how to communicate when there are no words through visual, auditory, and physical signals of connection
• Learn about advanced directives, living will, DNR orders, palliative and hospice care
• Learn about giving the person with dementia permission to pass without giving up on them (Letting Go vs. Giving Up)
Participants will receive handouts of the material covered. Refreshments will be provided. Other Positive Approach to Care™ resources will be available for purchase.
Where is 15 Craigside?
-- 15 Craigside is centrally located on Nuuanu Avenue, mauka of the Craigside Condominium complex.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
-- The entrance to 15 Craigside's parking lot is off of Nuuanu Ave. Parking is behind the building. A valet will direct you to a stall and hold your keys for you.
Where can I learn about other Positive Approach to Care classes available?
-- Visit www.dorothycolby.com to see a listing of all current classes running.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
-- Yes, you may transfer your ticket to someone else. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let Dorothy know who will be attending in your place.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
-- Email email@example.com if you have any questions.