encourageXchange EUROPE 2011 WORKSHOP: Securely Exchanging Information through Technology
Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM - Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM (CEST)
JOIN US IN
Krems an der Donau, Austria
(a short distance from Vienna)
FOR THE WORKSHOP:
May 7-8, 2011
In an interactive format over two days, this workshop will provide an explanation of, and solutions for, threats that are most often faced when using information and communication technologies for advocacy work.
How much does it Cost?
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided by the organizers for the 2 days of the event. All travel, transportation, and accommodation expenses must be paid for by the participant.
Where is the Workshop taking place?
Krems, Austria. Exact details provided upon acceptance of participant application.
The workshop will be held in English, but simultaneous translation will be available for those who require it. Please register early so we can ensure that your language preference for the workshop is offered.
Advocates, Journalists, and NGO leadersare increasingly concerned about their digital security. While computers and the Internet can be extremely powerful tools for advocacy, they also present new risks. This training workshop aims to minimize these risks by enabling participants to improve aspects of operational security, including the ability to effectively secure and exchange content using enhanced communication methods, thereby minimizing interference from external threats.
What will I learn?
By the end of the training, attendees will:
1. Understand what security threats exist when using the Internet and mobile technologies
2. Be able to set-up a secure communications platform toensure data security and mitigate risks
3. Understand how to use off-the-shelf technologies to help mitigate threats
4. Know how to bypass security threats to ensure effectiveness of advocacy work
5. Know how to avoid the most typical security risks nonprofits face when managing their communications networks
6. Know where to turn for advice and assistance
Who should attend:
- Advocacy groups who use mobile phones and social media
- Independent journalists
◦ Alternative media journalists
- Human Rights groups
- Non-profit managers of local organizations with approximately 0-20 employees
- Members of non-technical advocacy groups
- Register at: http://encouragexchangeurope.eventbrite.com
- Upon registration you will receive a brief survey application form which must be completed for consideration into the program. The survey can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/encouragexchange2011
- Notification of acceptance of enrollment into the program will take place within 1 week of receipt of survey application.
- Inquiries can be made to email@example.com
For more information on CeDEM 2011 CLICK HERE