Actions and Detail Panel
EMS Southwest Regional Meeting 2017
Fri, March 31, 2017, 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM PDT
Engaging Theology, Theologians, and Theological Education in (or from) Majority World Contexts
Missiologists have unique opportunities and responsibility to ensure that Christian communities in North America and Europe develop meaningful engagement with theology and theological leaders from Africa, Asia and Latin America and other majority world contexts. Potential papers will explore aspects of what it means for missiology, theology, and theological education in North America to engage theology, theologians, and theological education from (or in) the majority world. Topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Definitions of “the majority world” and implications for framing the conversation about theology in the majority world context.
- Historical development of theological education in the majority world
- The role/contribution of missiology to global awareness and engagement for theological education in North America
- Contributions to theological disciplines (biblical studies, systematic theology, Christian history, homiletics, pastoral theology, missiology, pastoral counseling) from the majority world
- Issues in theological education in the majority world and their implications for North American theological education
- Papers addressing theological education in majority world contexts, ranging from discussions of curriculum, to accreditation, to material supports, would be suitable foci.
Papers exploring the writings of key theological leaders from majority world contexts and/or focused on themes of import in such contexts such as (examples):
- How are issues related to affliction and healing understood and addressed pastorally and theologically?
- How are theological leaders engaging issues related to sexuality or marriage?
- How are theological leaders addressing ethical issues for their context?
- How does Bible translation itself shape the theological understandings of Christians in diverse settings?
- The role of theological education in relation to the missionary enterprise in the majority world