Actions and Detail Panel
Empowerment Summit for Formerly Incarcerated Students & Families
Wed, Apr 19, 2017, 9:00 AM – Thu, Apr 20, 2017, 5:00 PM PDT
On April 19th and 20th, Root & Rebound and the Street Scholars at Merritt College will be hosting a FREE 2 day Empowerment Summit for Formerly Incarcerated Students & Families.
The 2 day summit will feature legal workshops & clinics focused on the needs of formerly incarcerated students and families, as well as workshops and panels on topics critical to successful reentry--employment, education, housing, cleaning up a record, and more.
Time for networking, sharing resources and ideas, and growing friendships and relationships will be built in! Please join us!
RSVP HERE: http://bit.ly/empowerment_summit
AGENDA IS BELOW:
Wednesday, April 19th
- Message of empowerment from community activist Watani Stiner
- Voices from the Community: panel discussion & conversation about creating a prison-to-school pipeline and increasing opportunities for families impacted by incarceration
- Coalition Building Across Cultural Lines: coming together to support & strengthen our communities
- Roadmap to Reentry "Know Your Rights with a Record Workshop
Workshop for Families & Children supporting a Loved One in reentry - Message of empowerment from community activist Watani Stiner
- Screening of Life After Life documentary -- Life After Life follows the stories of Harrison, Noel, and Chris as they return home from San Quentin State Prison. After spending most of their lives incarcerated, they are forced to reconcile their perception of themselves with a reality they are unprepared for, as well as the precarious nature of freedom after incarceration in America. (See trailer here: https://vimeo.com/137638023https://vimeo.com/137638023)
Thursday, April 20th
- Higher Education: panel discussion on the "who," "what," "when," "where," and "how" of accessing higher ed.
- Family First: panel discussion on resources and tools for family unity, family strengthening, and counseling
- Message of inspiration from family activist Mia Birdsong
- Fair Chance Hiring & Entering the Professional World: panel discussion on game planning for success and finding the "right" job
- Reducing Barriers to Employment: what you need to know about your rights as a job applicant or employee with a record
Both days will offer free 1-on-1 legal meetings with R&R attorneys, family & community resources, free food, entertainment and activities for kids.
If you are interested in attending or hosting an informational table about your organization, please contact Dominik Taylor at email@example.com or (510) 279-4662.