Purpose: To support school leaders to utilize the Framework elements to develop and sustain school-wide practices that nurture student agency and strengthen teacher pedagogy through cycles of continuous improvement informed by research and data.
Rationale: Queens South Field Support Center strategically designed a series of professional learning opportunities in response to the analysis of performance data and qualitative data for district schools in conjunction with priorities identified by the Superintendents. The design of the professional learning opportunities leverages the extensive research behind the Framework for Great Schools to support improved outcomes for all students by working with school leaders to develop and sustain school-wide structures and practices that nurture student agency and strengthen teacher pedagogy.
- Student agency and engagement through student-centered instruction
- Inquiry based teacher-team structures that support student agency for all students including those that need intervention and enrichment
- Structures and practices that deepen students’ role in improving academic discourse and content-based writing.
- Effective schoolwide assessment practices that foster student agency and informs instruction
- Visit classrooms and observe teacher teams
- Evaluate strategies for observing and improving teacher practice in the areas of facilitating academic discourse, checking for understanding and providing high leverage feedback.
- Reflect on the progress of student agency, and student-engaged assessment and generate and share school-wide or grade-band strategies for next Fall. (could be in groups working on an area of choice)
Bridge to Practice
During your next round of observations focus on the
- learning targets,
- success criteria,
- checks for understanding, and or
- evidence of student learning you see in classrooms
Bring back the transcript of a low-stakes observation done around 3d
Prepare your presentation for the Share Fair