As ArcGIS analysis techniques become more robust and specialized, they also become more and more complex. Many basic features become obscured in the nearly overwhelming environment of toolbars and toolboxes. This half-day class is a survey of the Analysis Tools toolbox in ArcToolbox, which provides a powerful set of tools to perform the various geoprocessing operations on all types of vector data. The instructor will conduct a detailed walk-through of each tool in the toolbox with demonstrations of the most widely applied tools. The course culminates in an exercise designed to show in detail how to use the analysis tools to create meaningful data and reports.
The class authors and instructors regularly apply the techniques taught in this class to a large and complex data set. They know what works, what doesn't, and how to make the best use of time spent while doing GIS analysis; they impart that knowledge to the students in a straightforward manner with demonstrations and hands-on exercises that use real-world (King County) data.
This class forms part of the three-day King County GIS Academy™.
Effective Analysis is designed for GIS users who want to improve their analysis techniques.
Activities and Goals
- Extract features and attributes from a feature class or a table based on attribute queries or spatial extraction and store them in a new shapefile or geodatabase feature class.
- Overlay multiple feature classes to combine, erase, or update spatial features into a new feature class.
- Determine the proximity of spatial features within a feature class or between two feature classes.
- Perform standard statistical analysis on attribute data.
- Extraction tools: Clip, Select, Split, Table Select
- Overlay tools: Identity, Intersect, Union, Update
- Proximity tools: Buffer, Near, Point Distance
- Statistical tools: Frequency, Summary Statistics
Prerequisites and Recommendations
Students should have knowledge of Microsoft Windows® and be familiar with the basic use of ArcGIS, including the topics covered in Fundamentals of ArcGIS and Intermediate GIS Concepts.
What You Will Receive
- 3.5 hours of instruction from a subject-matter expert and Academy class author.
- Use of a student PC while in class, with appropriate GIS software and access to training data.
- A copy of the class training material.
- Upon completion, a signed Completion Certificate which will indicate the CEUs (0.35) and GISCI points (0.0875) earned.
Our Students Speak
“Helped me with filling in my knowledge gaps for the analysis toolbox”
KCGIS Training Terms and Conditions
By registering for one of our classes, you agree to our Terms and Conditions; you may review them here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/GIS/Training/TermsConditions.aspx .
King County Employees: King Co. Employees are eligible for a discounted rate. Please visit "How to Register for KCGIS Training".
State of Washington Employees: Visit your Human Resources Training and Development "How to Register" web page.
Attention - Veterans with GI Bill Benefits:
Selected programs of study at the King County GIS Center are approved by the Washington State Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of veterans and eligible beneficiaries under Title 38 and Title 10, USC. For more information on GI Bill benefits see www.gibill.va.gov (external link).
If you intend to use your GI Bill Veterans education benefits, indicate so on the registration payment page and send your USVA Enrollment Certificate to email@example.com.
Save This Event
When & Where
King County GIS Center
|Cheryl Wilder||206-477-4421||Training Coordinator: Client Services|