What is Edcamp?
Edcamps are composed of anyone who shares a vested interest in learning about learning and growing professionally. Unlike other conferences, an edcamp is considered to be an unconference because it does not include a keynote speaker, the day is planned by the attendees, and the cost of attending is free. If you want to share your ideas, sign up to speak. You want to hear the ideas of others being shared, sign up to attend a session. For more detailed information about edcamp, please visit our website at http://www.cisd.org/edcampcana
An Ed Camp is participant driven professional development.
An Ed Camp is a place for like-minded people to come together to learn, share and inspire.
An Ed Camp does not have a keynote speaker or vendors.
An Ed Camp does not have scheduled sessions (until that morning, anyway).
An Ed Camp is designed by you and includes the topics you want to discuss.
What do I bring?
- Yourself and your ideas
- A mobile device of some sort
- Business cards for networking
Focus of Edcamp
One frequently asked question is “Is Edcamp only focused on ed tech or technology integration?” The answer is “no.” Edcamp is focused on learning about learning. Most Edcamps do have many participant driven sessions around technology, but YOU decide the session so you can suggest sessions on topics as wide ranging as ESL strategies, parent engagement, project-based or inquiry learning, leadership for innovation, creative/innovative classroom design, etc.
Who can attend Edcamp CANA?
Everyone. Yes - we do mean everyone! We invite all educators, educational leaders, students, AND parents. We welcome and eagerly invite anyone who wants to spend the day talking with others about learning and how to improve all learning environments. If you are an educator interested in attending, select a student and a parent who might be interested and invite them to come along with you. Invite your principal as well!
The Rule of Two Feet
- If people find themselves in situations where they are neither learning nor contributing, they are responsible for moving to another place -- using their two feet to find a place where their participation is more meaningful.
Whoever comes are the right people
- This reinforces the wisdom to achieve solutions is present in the room.
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have
- This keeps the attention on the best possible effort in the present, instead of wondering endlessly about what should or could have been done.
Whenever it starts is the right time
- This reminds people that creativity cannot be controlled.
When it is over, it is over
- This encourages people to continue their discussion so long as there is energy for it. This may result in a short session not filling the entire time allotted, or it may result in a session longer than the time allotted.
Media & Documentation of Event
Please be advised that there will be photos and video taken during the event for documentation purposes and we may select a few sessions to broadcast via live-streaming during the day. If you prefer to not be in any of this media, please contact one of the organizers to opt out of this. You will also be able to inform us of your preference to opt out when you check-in at registration on the morning of the event.
You have permission to document the event on your own as well and we encourage you to tweet during the day to share thoughts, new things you are learning, and photos that you might take throughout the day.
Who are the organizers?
The organizers are a self-selected group of volunteer educators from across the Corsicana area. We are:
Lora Krantz - email: email@example.com - Twitter: @LoraEbadian
Tiffany Richardson - Twitter: @TechiTiff
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!