Early Rise Austin
Friday, March 7, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM (CST)
Media Rise is excited to host “Early Rise 2014,” a worldwide series of morning mixers for people committed to inspiring media for social good.
After our launch in Washington, D.C., we're coming to Austin, just in time for SXSW!
Join us for an inspiring talk, meditation and networking over healthy breakfast & coffee.
- Mix & mingle with storytellers, designers, activists, business leaders & educators who share your passion & energy for meaningful media.
- Get inspired by changemakers who use media effectively to accelerate social transformation at the individual & community level.
Aaron Bramley is a communicator and a collaborator with expertise in video, social media, public relations, marketing communications, media relations, crisis communications, nonprofits, fundraising and learning new things. For the last 7 years, he has worked as the Director of Digital Media for Ridgewood: Ingenious Communication Strategies. He is also Co-founder and Executive Director of Lights. Camera. Help., a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to creating positive change through film. www.lightscamerahelp.org
A book publicist for 8 years in New York City, Laura Donnelly Gonzalez co-founded Latinitas magazine and outreach as a masters student at UT Austin. As the COO, she manages the production of Latinitas’ magazine, program outreach and resource development. In 2010, Laura was named a YWCA of Austin Woman of the Year, “Leader of Promise” and Austin’s 40 Under 40 Award for her work empowering Hispanic girls and teens. She is also a recent graduate of Leadership Austin’s 2013 Essential class. www.laslatinitas.com
Rubén Cantú is Founder of CORE Media Enterprises, a full-scale production company with a social focus. Defining himself more specifically as a “mediapreneur,” Ruben has been working in media since he was 14 when he hosted his first weekly radio show. CORE Creative Media Strategies is the commercial arm of CORE that creates business media strategies executed through high-end video production. The company’s film division, COREageous Films, reflects Ruben’s extensive background in filmmaking and provides a path for these socially aware and progressive projects to come to light. www.coremediastrategies.com
Sustainable Food Center cultivates a healthy community by strengthening the local food system and improving access to nutritious, affordable food.
Yogurt, granola and fresh fruit generously provided by KIND.
When & Where
Our mission is to promote the creation and consumption of meaningful media to accelerate social change.
We elevate communities worldwide by:
- CELEBRATING success stories of how content creators, storytellers, designers and educators use media for social good;
- EMPOWERING media to integrate human values, such as compassion, connectedness and respect for all; and,
- ENCOURAGING partnerships among media professionals and changemakers to accelerate social transformation at the individual and community level.
Media Rise, in collaboration with relevant partners, achieves our vision through the following activities:
- EVENTS, including an annual festival, workshops, seminars and classes, to build networks and a platform for inspiring media;
- RESEARCH , providing actionable insights into the impact of media on human values and society;
- PROJECTS, community-centered media projects that grow from the collaboration between members of the Media Rise network; and,
- AWARDS, recognizing creative professionals, changemakers and media innovators.
Our target audience includes individuals, families and organizations dedicated to using all types of media for social good. This includes content creators (storytellers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, journalists, bloggers, etc.), media educators, policy makers and NGO activists.
The inaugural Media Rise Festival was held in Washington, D.C. on September 23-29, 2013.