Weather, climate, and sustainable actions are prominent in the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and the NJ Student Learning Standards (NJSLS) for Science. Let the 2,700 acre Duke Farms property serve as your living laboratory and source of inspiration for exciting new lessons on these topics.
Participating K-12 educators, administrators and non-formal educators will conduct hands-on outdoor fieldwork, hear lectures from NJ’s top experts, and develop NGSS/NJSLS-aligned lesson plans that bring the concepts of climate change and sustainability to life for students.
1. The processes that lead to climate change
2. How human activity contributes to climate change
3. Local and global impacts of climate change
4. Climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies
5. Sustainable actions within educational institutions
- Registration Deadline April 15, 2017
- In-Person Orientation Dinner (Wednesday, April 26, 2017 from 4:30 to 7:30pm)
- Pre-Academy Distance Learning (April-June; roughly 12 hours of independent work)
- In-Person Summer Academy Sessions (June 26 - June 29, 2017 8:00am-4:30pm)
- FINAL NGSS-Aligned Teaching Plan (Due: September 30, 2017)
Cost: $150 includes all course materials, orientation dinner and on-site housing (June 26-29) for the first eight registered participants.
Lead Faculty for the Academy are Ms. Laura Gallagher and Dr. Missy Holzer. View their bios here.
Participants can also earn points for Sustainable Jersey for Schools certification.
Save This Event
1112 Dukes Pkwy W
Duke Farms serves as a leader of environmental stewardship and inspires visitors to become informed stewards of the land. It is a place of education, enjoyment and research that enhances the environmental health of the region.