Actions and Detail Panel
Doctor Who: Reflective Practice on the highs and lows of doing a PhD
Thu, April 27, 2017, 1:00 PM – 2:15 PM BST
This workshop gives a chance to step back for a moment and explore the experience of PhD research through sharing one’s own story and listening to the story of others.
As Chaplains we notice that there are same themes arising in our one to one conversations with PhD students.
• how do I make the best use of my time?
• issues relating to working in teams
• dealing with ‘the unknown’ and going ‘where no one has gone before’
• the need to develop good communications – within the research group, with supervisors, with friends and family
• how to look after myself and get the research completed in time
How does it work?
The workshop aims to support PhD students who want to reflect on the unique challenges and opportunities PhD journey brings. The Chaplains will run the session, helping the group to choose the theme to explore and how to reflect together on the themes above. You will be able to hear how other people deal with the same issues.
The workshop will not teach meditation but will draw on Mindfulness practices.
Who is it for?
• It is open to post-graduate student who wants to reflect on their experience of PhD research.
• The workshop is generally suitable for all PhD students, particularly useful for those who feel the pressure to perform, solve practical problems and need some sort of space to reflect and focus on what is most important right now
• It is not necessary to have a meditation experience to take part but it will give a chance to those with a meditation practice to explore how this helps with their research.
How does the session relate to Mindfulness?
The session may not necessarily focus on quick answers and solutions, but rather being more aware of your stress signatures: what stresses you out? What doesn’t help? What helps? What habits have you got in place to help you move forward?
Please register only if you are SURE you are going to attend the event. If you decide not to attend having booked, please let us know ASAP, so we can give your place to someone else in need. Thanks.