Actions and Detail Panel
Dixie Highway Celebration Festival 2017
Fri, Apr 21, 2017, 8:00 AM – Sat, Apr 22, 2017, 8:00 PM EDT
Join us for the First Annual Dixie Highway Festival and Celebration of 2017!
Commemorating the development of the Dixie Highway (Route 41) as the first major highway connecting the northern states to the south. Highlighting life on the road and industries that popped up along the route.
Everyone will be in for a treat with our wide range of entertainment. Friday, April 21st will start with a Dixie Highway Symposium with an opening night reception and exhibition commemorating the “Dixie.” Saturday starts with a blast of fun with a Dogs on the Dixie Walk scavenger hunt, Family Fun Zone, the Downtown Dalton Sampler, a Poker Run with cars from the Dixie Highway era, a Dixie Highway Cruise Inn, live music, a cookout, tours of the Crescent City Train Car, and an opportunity to tour the Dalton Moonshine Distillery and purchase a Dixie Highway Commemorative Moonshine Bottle. Don't miss it!
Special hotel rate available at Courtyard Marriott; $104. Call 706-275-7215 and ask for Dixie Highway festival rate.
Dixie Highway final agenda April 21-22, 2017
Friday April 21, 2017
- 9am - 12:30pm Bandy Heritage Center presents 2017 Dixie Highway symposium; Gateway to the South: Remembering the Dixie Highway; James E Brown Center, Room 105.
- Edwin Jackson Independent Scholar and author.
- Matthew Tankersley Archaeologist and GIS specialist with New South Associates.
- Dr. Leslie Sharp Associate Vice Provost of Georgia Institute of Technology and author of Tennessee's Dixie Highway: Springfield to Chattanooga.
- 1pm Bandy Heritage Center reception & opening exhibit Headin' South: Driving the Dixie Highway; Dalton Freight Depot.
- 4pm – 5pm Tourism & The Dixie presented by Edwin Jackson; Dalton Distillery.
- 5pm - 6pm Reception hosted by Dalton Convention & Visitors Bureau; Dalton Distillery.
Saturday April 22, 2017
- 10 am – noon “Dogs on the Dixie;” Scavenger Hunt/fund raiser; Peacock Alley.
- 10 am – noon Family Fun Zone; Peacock Alley.
- 10 am – 2 pm Poker run; East Ridge Flea Market to the Dalton Freight Depot.
- 10am - noon "Live Liter Free" sponsored by "Keep Dalton-Whitfield Beautiful."
- Noon- 4 pm Downtown Sampler; Downtown Dalton Resaurants.
- 2 pm – 8 pm Cruise Inn; Freight Depot on Bricks.
- 2 pm – 5 pm Crescent City train car tours; Freight Depot.
- 4 pm – 8 pm Cook out on the Bricks; Freight Depot.
- 4 pm – 8 pm Live Music- Featuring Blackbird Revival; Peacock Alley
Freight Depot address: 305 S. Depot St. Dalton GA 30721 (706) 270-9960
Peacock Alley, Dalton Distillery and “The Bricks” adjacent to Freight Depot
James E Brown Center: 404-444 College Dr. Dalton, GA 30720
For more information or questions contact the Dalton Convention &Visitors Bureau at 706-270-9960.