Diversity, Inclusion and Intercultural Training Session
We can be diverse, but not necessarily inclusive in a planned way. FCSS would like to invite you to participate in a one day (7.5 hour) Diversity, Inclusion and Intercultural training session. This training session is being offered to all FCSS funded Executive Directors, and one additional staff of your choosing that you feel can influence change where necessary in your organization. FCSS is working with the Norquest College Center for Intercultural Education to offer these sessions.
By participating in a session participants will acquire:
1. A working understanding of the dimensions of diversity, inclusion and intercultural competency
2. Knowledge of the organizational impact of inclusion.
3. Critical self-awareness of how unconscious bias impacts your life, community, and workplace using the Something’s Up® approach.
The training will be made highly applicable to your workplace. This is about learning together, and working together to build a more culturally inclusive Edmonton.
Participants will also take part in the Intercultural Development Inventory® (IDI®), a tool that assesses intercultural competence—the capability to shift cultural perspective and appropriately adapt behavior to cultural differences and commonalities. Results from the IDI will be clustered in groups, and analyzed together in a training setting. Results will be used to make the training relevant for your context and to support recommendations for future agency supports.
This is phase one of inclusion-based FCSS funded supports. Your participation will paint a valuable picture of where we are now, and what kinds of training and enhanced supports would be most helpful over the course of the next 1-2 years.
The training will be offered on the following dates at the Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre.
- October 19, 2016 – Wednesday – 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Igloo Room
- November 1, 2016 – Tuesday – 8:30 am – 4:00 pm – Multipurpose Room 6 – Green & Gold Room
- November 22, 2016 – Tuesday – 8:30 am – 4:00 pm – Multipurpose Room 6 – Green & Gold Room
- December 7, 2016 – Wednesday – 8:30 am – 4 pm – Multipurpose Room 6 – Green & Gold Room
- January 11, 2017 – Wednesday – 8:30 am – 4pm – Multipurpose Room 6 – Green & Gold Room
Edmonton FCSS is strongly encouraging all of our funded agencies to attend so together we can ensure programs and services are able to meet the needs of all the culturally diverse citizens in our community
Please register no later than Wednesday, September 21, 2016. You and your staff may attend different dates, or the same dates if that works best for you. Please forward the Eventbrite invite to the staff of your choosing indicating the RSVP deadline. There are maximum of 35 spaces per day. Dates will be reserved on a first come first served basis.
Thank-you for your interest in this work. If you have any questions, they can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org