Actions and Detail Panel
Distance Camp - Boys Entering Grade 6-8 & Incoming Freshman 2017
Mon, Jun 26, 2017, 9:00 AM – Thu, Jun 29, 2017, 11:00 AM CDT
Brother Rice has a strong tradition of excellence in track and cross country. The philosophy of the coaching staff is to teach young athletes the benefits of running and encourage running as a life-long activity, with an emphasis placed on self-improvement. The purpose of the camp is to teach the proper mechanics of running, stretching, nutrition, and an all-around healthy lifestyle. Individuals of all levels are welcome. Campers will be taught correct running form as well as racing strategy as it pertains to distances from 800 meters to 3 miles, including relays.
The camp will be under the guidance of Mr. Tom Wazio '97, Head Cross Country/ Track Coach. Current members of the Brother Rice cross country and track & field team will assist in the running of the camp and will act as counselors.
Each camper is asked to come prepared each day with t-shirt, shorts, and shoes that are suitable for running. Fee includes participation in the camp, certificate of completion, a Brother Rice Cross Country Camp T-shirt, use of Brother Rice's all-weather track, awards for top athletes at the end of the camp ,and lunch on the final day.
What you'll learn:
○ Stretch properly to prevent injury
○ Correct form and mechanics in order to become a more efficient runner
○ The basics of physiology as it pertains to rest, recovery, nutrition, and how to attain and keep their bodies in top physical condition
○ Consistent training methods, for all ability levels, in events ranging from 800 meters to 3 miles
○ How to correctly run a relay and the importance of teamwork
○ Watch videos of high school, college, and elite athletes in order to better understand racing strategy
○ Listen to Br. Rice graduates, who have earned All-State honors and Division I scholarships, speak on the benefits of running, competition, and their experience as an athlete