San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
DirectEmployer Institute’s (DEF), Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics Youth Enhancement Summer Program (STEM YES!) is a comprehensive 65-hour summer program for Central Indiana students in grades 9-12 who are interested in exploring STEM & Business careers in a work-based environment. Over two weeks, students develop competencies in teamwork, business planning, presentation skills, social etiquette, soft skills and career and college preparation. All this, while learning about the day-to-day work of STEM & business professionals regarding marketing, finance, business development, research and product development, information technology, and human resources.
What to Expect:
Small group (6 students per group) business plan development and presentation
· Students work together, mentored by a business professional, to develop a STEM business plan. Students present projects at end of program for feedback
Interactive classroom instruction on core business practices
- Presented by STEM business professionals, students learn core business practices including marketing, finance, business development, research and product development, information technology and human resources
Hands-on learning at STEM businesses (8 Indianapolis businesses each host 12 students)
- Small groups meet at STEM employer partner for onsite Job Shadow to experience hands-on business practices and work with STEM professionals to develop STEM business plan. Employers Includes:
- Lilly and Company
- DirectEmployers Association
- Dow AgroSciences
- Eleven Fifty Academy
- And More...
Project Lead the Way interactive STEM workshop
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW) will facilitate half-day workshop with hands-on STEM activities and students will learn about PLTW education opportunities available at their schools.
Career and College preparation
- Campus tour and business etiquette lunch, a Dress for Success workshop by Banana Republic, resume development, and mock job interviews
Networking evening for parents and students with DirectEmployers Board, local employers and others
Free Breakfast & Lunch
Don't forget, Like us of Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/directemployersfoundation
When & Where
DirectEmployers Institute (DEI) brings learning to life by uniting public and private employers, schools and non-profit organizations that have a passion for creating a diversified workforce for Central Indiana students who are socioeconomically disadvantaged due to underrepresentation or disabilities. We inspire and prepare the next generation of a more diverse global workforce by bringing a simulated workplace environment directly to students in state-of-the-art, project-based STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Learning Labs and through local workplace learning programs.
DEI Has Three Primary Programs:
1) STEM YES! - Since 2012, we have offered our Youth Enhancement Summer Program (YES), now called STEM YES!, an intense summer program for at-risk, underrepresented Central Indiana students in grades 9-12 to explore STEM careers in a work-based environment.
2) Workplace Learning - We place students interested in experiencing a real work environment as part of their career exploration process with Central Indiana employers interested in developing a more diverse workforce.
3) STEM Learning Labs – We offer hands-on STEM educational programming for students in grades 8-12 that occur at STEM Learning Labs located on-site at select schools, community centers, and other flexible spaces in Central Indiana. Students visit the Learning Labs during school hours, after school, and in the summer, based on the needs of the individual student and the requirements of the student's school. Learning Labs contain actual workplace equipment and replicate the corporate culture and business practices from one of our employer partners.