Dia de los Muertos Fiesta!
Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM (CDT)
Celebrate the Day of the Dead at Allie Cat Arts!
*Featuring DOD inspired work by Adam Hunt, Daniel Counce, Susan Younger, Jessica Kellicut, Lauren Spearman, Stacy Green, and N.Phillippe
* Live painting demonstration by Andrew Groves
* Face Painting by Funny Faces Face Painting Parties & Events
* And of course, lots of treats!
* Costumes encouraged! For Day of the Dead inspired dress check out our idea album at: http://www.pinterest.com/alliecatarts/dia-de-los-muertos-costume-ideas/
* You're also invited to join us in creating a community altar to honor our departed loved ones by bringing a photo, momento, etc to display. (Items can be dropped off anytime between now & oct 26, & can be picked up after the event).
For more details & updates, visit our FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/419914774775055/
Also check out our Sugar Skull Workshops!!!
For more info & to register, visit http://alliecatarts.eventbrite.com/
What is Day of the Dead?
Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is very special Mexican holiday where friends and family gather to remember their loved ones who have passed away. Instead of being scary or sad, it is a time of happiness and joy! Family members honor their loved ones by decorating an altar & leaving "ofrendas" such as photographs, flowers, special foods, toys, etc. They also visit the graves of departed friends and family, clean them, and decorate them with fresh flowers. People enjoy picnics and remember their loved ones through stories and songs. Skeletons are often shown in everyday activities which depict a dead person’s profession or interests, and are placed on altars to show the spirit that they have not been forgotten.
Contact us for more information:
Allie Cat Arts - 961 S. Cooper - Memphis, TN 38104
901.830.8047 or 901.722.0094 - www.facebook.com/AllieCatArts
When & Where
Allie Cat Arts
A funky eclectic art gallery/shop nestled in the historic Cooper Young neighborhood. Featuring fine art, pottery, glass, sculpture, jewelry, and gifts by over 70 local artists! We also host special events... check out our FB page for more info.