Actions and Detail Panel
Design for America - Mentors - Leading for Social Good
Mon, April 10, 2017, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM CDT
Connect with DFA National, faculty, and professional mentors to discuss the future of design innovation and help take your studios to the next level.
Design for America (DFA) has been building capacity to take on big social challenges since 2009. By valuing interdisciplinary collaboration, community building, real-world partnerships, and learning by doing, DFA takes a unique approach to training design and non-designers alike to address social issues through human-centered design. DFA’s heart is in its local campus studios. Teams work on extracurricular projects that have direct impact, and stories of individual transformation suggest even more.
Join us as we ask: How can we develop strong student leaders? How can we get students off campus and into the community? How can we leverage university resources to create impactful projects? How can we empower passionate design thinkers and social entrepreneurs?
- Welcome and the future of design education
- Identifying team roadblocks
- Overcoming roadblock strategy sessions
- Connecting extracurricular project-based work with the future of education
- Liz Gerber, DFA Faculty Founder
- Julio Ottino, Dean, Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Gordon Prize Winner for Innovation in Engineering and Technology Education
- Bruce Ankenman, co-director, Segal Design Institute
- and more!
Early Bird tickets: $30 - Deadline Mar 3rd
Regular tickets: $70 - Deadline Mar 27
Registration After March 27: $100
Getting to the Segal Design Institute
The Segal Design Institute is located on Northwestern's Evanston campus, conveniently located on Chicago's L or Metra train lines.
Many convenient housing options are available in Evanston or Chicago.